SR250 elec. Gremlin

xpertgraphix
This post is 4929 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

heres what we got.

1981 Yamaha SR250 with an electrical gremlin that makes me want to punch a baby.

heres what its doing. pressing the start button turns the headlight off. when you release the button the headlight goes back on again! Was able to jump the starter solenoid and it would turn over = so i thought the solenoid was bad... replaced the starter solenoid- same thing able to jump the new one= engine turns over. trying to start it normal headlight goes off.

im at a true loss of ideas at this point

hope someone can shed some light on this

thank you so much!

-Mark

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

heres what we got.

1981 Yamaha SR250 with an electrical gremlin that makes me want to punch a baby.

heres what its doing. pressing the start button turns the headlight off. when you release the button the headlight goes back on again! Was able to jump the starter solenoid and it would turn over = so i thought the solenoid was bad... replaced the starter solenoid- same thing able to jump the new one= engine turns over. trying to start it normal headlight goes off.

im at a true loss of ideas at this point

hope someone can shed some light on this

thank you so much!

-Mark

Shagged battery/ charging circuit.

Heres the story on the battery... Holds voltage- ran it on the Snapon battery diagnostic under a load test everything says its good. a guy at school told me that batteries do funny things and to just try a new battery what do you think?

Heres the story on the battery... Holds voltage- ran it on the Snapon battery diagnostic under a load test everything says its good. a guy at school told me that batteries do funny things and to just try a new battery what do you think?

You could do, it really does point to battery trouble, but it may be the regulator/rectifier not charging the battery up enough. If you try a new battery first, and its fine for a while, then slowly looses its charge then I would suspect the rectifier, or a dodgy earth. Trial and error I suppose. Good luck

So it dawned on me at about 4 am lastnight. I had an idea and I will go in today to try it out!

I put new handlebars on the bike.... Black coated handlebars. The clamping of the right hand controls provides the power switch with the ground needed for starting. original handlebars were chrome and would conduct!

gotta go into the school and try this out!

So it dawned on me at about 4 am lastnight. I had an idea and I will go in today to try it out!

I put new handlebars on the bike.... Black coated handlebars. The clamping of the right hand controls provides the power switch with the ground needed for starting. original handlebars were chrome and would conduct!

gotta go into the school and try this out!

Chief,

I think you could have nailed the problem. Post if you have any luck

WOW I feel stupid!!! The reason for this was because I changed out the handle bars and the right hand controls did not have a ground due to the new clubmans being coated! I guess there could have been stupider things done but for me this one takes the cake!.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online