BHP and Torque corrolation

Guest JMW
This post is 7093 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've been trying to get a handle on this for a while. I spent a few hours dyno-ing 5 2 stroke spannies and after looking at the torque and BHP figures and comparing them to other bikes I've run, there doesn't seem to be a direct relationship between the two values.

EG..

A bike making 80bhp delivers 65Mn's of torque yet a similar bike making 85bhp delivers 60Mn's of torque.

With no discernable difference, what would cause the torque figure to drop when outright engine power is up ?

Any takers ?

J

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:lol: ive already explained ths one to you once before, on aleks forum, in a thread you started :lol:

http://www.yamaha-rd.com/forum/viewtopic.p...t=5250&start=36

power = torque x revs/5250

so, by calculation a bike making 80bhp at 10,000rpm has 42lb-f of torque.

but another bike making 80bhp at 9000rpm has 46lb-f of torque.

the higher up the revs it makes the power, the less torque it has. there is also a difference between torque at peak power, and actual peak torque. its quite possible for a bike that maks loads of power on a dyno at sky high revs to have bugger all torque, and so never actually make that power on the road, because it will never be able to overcome the rolling and wind resistance.

just proves you never listen :lol:

just for my amusement ive been playing with your numbers :lol:

65Mn (Mewton Neters? :lol: ) is 47.94lbf

60Nm is 44.25lbf

so assuming you havent just plucked these numbers out of your head :lol:

bike no1 makes peak power of 80bhp at 8,761rpm or thereabouts

bike no2 makes peak power of 85bhp at 10,085rpm or thereabouts

right?

i say thereabouts, because theres a little rounding in the calculation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online