xvs 125cc to 250cc

littlepig
This post is 4780 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Evening all hope all is well, been doing some thinking of late about reboring the wee machine.Found a mob in France who are willing to do it for me.They want me send the barrells and heads out to them and they'll send it back rebored to 170cm3 with pistons,rings,carb kit and intructions on what to do with the air box.Now this has me thinking can i buy the 250cc barrells,heads,pistons,carb and airbox and bolt them on instead ? or is there anything going on in the bottom end i have to address ? any help is appreciated muchly as always. thanks .

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I can't help you on the technical side , but........

How much is that lot going to cost? Sending heavy stuff to & from France can't be cheap, and for what return? 250cc? really?

Isn't it more cost effective to sell the 125, spend the money you allocated for the alterations and buy a larger capacity machine?

Is it the engineering challenge that's driving this project? If that's the case, the price is somewhat immaterial and I wish you all the best, however if you are trying to disguise the status of your 125 to opperate it as a 250 on a learner licence, be aware that in the unfortunate event of an accident, you'll be up ShitCreek without so much as a paddling stick.

I'm already on a full license mate.I have an old gt750 as well but i use the wee 125 for work,i do 30 miles a day 6 days a week so is a cheap option.And ive done quite a bit of work to the draggy and really dont want to part with it.its a great machine.

I imagine you'll be absolute hammered on insurance...?? That said, sounds like an interesting project if you can afford it

Doesnt the stroke length need to be altered too? Sounds like a lot of (expensive) work for minimal improvement in performance/economy, whether you buy and fit parts, or have a re-bore job. :unsure:

As you say, its a great machine.

Risky

its a bad idea m8 ! save ur money and buy a 250cc engine to put in the beast!

the crank is a week point in the engine even as a 125! so boring it up to any amount is goin to put more strain on it. the problem is the bottom end of the crank where the conrods connect...its just metal on metal so is slowly grinding down which eventually causes too big a gap between the conrod and crank, this lets the conrod move side to side and knackers up the engine! with it being a 125 its not bad and will last you a fair few years (as long as the oil is good) but with the added "boom" of a re-bore it will wear down a HELL of allot faster! but by all means do it if you want but il be taking bets on how long it will last! and my bet will be 2 weeks ....if your lucky!

iv put a honda cbr 125 (2004) in mine, cost about £900 all in all but iv done all the work myself including making custom mounts, air filter, and wiring. its a big job and not one to be taken lightly but i can add a 150cc bore kit to it for about £200 which wont damage the engine. (cause the engine is originally designed to be a 150cc but for the uk market they put a 125cc barrel, piston, and head on it)

at the end of the day it will be cheaper (and more practical) to put a new bigger engine in there...rather than spend money on a mod that will not last 2 weeks.

try this link My link

they have decent engines for sale and the parts are cheep enough that you dont mind if something goes pop. it was my 1st choice for an engine but since i only have a provisional license i wouldnt get value for money (in terms of bhp)

im sure if you give them a ring you might be able to get them to fit it all for you! (for a cost of course) but its probably ur best bet.

• Haha 1