FZS 600 speedo not working

clarke
This post is 3517 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Noticed today on my way to work that the speedo has stopped working & just sits at 0mph (everything else on instrument panel works fine apart from odometer). I know the speed cable has a connection box under the tank which I'm hoping may have come loose when my braided steel lines & risers were added on Saturday, but was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar before I start dismantling the bike?

Any comments would be appreciated,

Graham

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well I lifted the tank and fiddled with the wire but it was fine & still doesn't work - bugger!! Anyone got any other suggestions? All I can think of is to take the front wheel off and check the connections at that end...

Had to resort to the other half's 125 for the commute to work today - not as good as my Fazer :(

Well I lifted the tank and fiddled with the wire but it was fine & still doesn't work - bugger!! Anyone got any other suggestions? All I can think of is to take the front wheel off and check the connections at that end...

Had to resort to the other half's 125 for the commute to work today - not as good as my Fazer :(

Dont know what to say to help you, i suppose you will have to look at the wheel end connection eventually.

Other than that it could be electrical,,,,,,,,,which im no good at !

Other than that it could be electrical,,,,,,,,,which im no good at !

Me neither!!! :(

Worst case I can always attach a Tomtom and use that as a speedo :P [though guess the MOT man won't buy that :rolleyes: )

In the owners manual link you gave me

there is a fuse for (Backup fuse - Odometer and clock )

Worth checking this out first anyway

EDIT: its no.7 10amp, under the seat

Cheers mate, didn't think to check the owners manual (checked service manual instead). I'll swap it tomorrow to see if it helps as not convinced the neighbours will appreciate me riding up & down to see if it works... (having said that - the numbers on the odometer come on, they just don't move and the needle sits on 0mph which makes me think its the wire or the speed sensor). :blink:

i THINK the speed sensor is to do with the Tachometer ( the rev counter ) If this is faulty it says a error code will appear when you turn on the ignition.

So mabey it is your wheel connection or the actual wire !

Dont know if the two are related but worth checking i suppose,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wherever the the speed sensor is ! :blink:

Good luck

i THINK the speed sensor is to do with the Tachometer ( the rev counter ) If this is faulty it says a error code will appear when you turn on the ignition.

So mabey it is your wheel connection or the actual wire !

Dont know if the two are related but worth checking i suppose,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wherever the the speed sensor is ! :blink:

Good luck

Hi,

Had the same problem with my FZS Fazer 600. It turned out to be the sensor in the front wheel; the plastic rotator has a tendency to snap the pegs, and as such the speed of the rotations isn't recorded, ergo no speed shown.

It wasn't an expensive fix - I didn't do it myself, took it to my local parts/service place, and they did it for me.

If you check this link: http://www.piaggiospares.co.uk/spares/epc2.asp?PageiD=41&modelID=9655

Part 15 is the bit I'm talking about - hopefully that's all it'll be, especially if your fuse/wires are all where they're 'sposed to be.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for all the help. I came across THIS post on the FOC-UK forum last night just before midnight, which as RevIt says is the plastic peg in the sensor. So at midnight I ran out to the garage & pulled the front wheel off and there it was a speed sensor with two snapped pegs...

Went to the Yammy dealer on the way to work this morning, £17.50 for a new one but I get 10% off so £15. Only problem now is it won't be in until Tuesday/Wednesday :(

At least I can get out on my 1300 this weekend :)

Thanks for all the help :)

• 3 years later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online