No pressure in the front brake!

Twisted2004
This post is 7065 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First time the front brake had been used in 10-15 years.

I thought the system could be bleed, pads replace and whoopi doo!

.....but no!.....There was no pressure in the system!

In fact i filled the master cylinder with fluid, removed the line to the caliper and pumped the lever to see what would happen

I would have thought that fluid should leave the reservoir, but nothin

Maybe the cylinder needs an overhaul with a new kit...??

Then i opened it all up and had a look and the insides. I gave the bits a good clean.....

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

....hmmm...but isnt the master cylinder overhaul kit jus a new spring, plunger and some washers?

The ones that i have seem alright?

I was thinking maybe the crap that was in the cylinder was blocking every thing up??

I'll wack it back together and see if theres any difference now.

Thanks Yamahead

First time the front brake had been used in 10-15 years.

That right there is probably the guilty culprit.

It might just work fine after a good cleaning?.....hopefully it will. :wink:

Just took the caliper to bits and gave it a good clean out.

The only problem is the dust seal around the main piston fell to bits!! :roll:

I should be able to get a new one right? Gonna make some calls tomorrow.

4b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What bike is this off? It looks very much like a Kawasaki, one of the Z family! Is this a Kawasaki forum? I don't think so!

Sorry, lol, Am I right, is it off a Kwaka? I'm so sad if I'm right. I saw the first picture and thought "that looks like my Z1100 plunger" I'm so sad... :oops: But really I want to know, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I got all the new bolts and bleed nipple. Now when i try and bleed the system, theres still no pressure!

I'll tell u what i'm doing...

1. Clear tube round the bleed nipple

2. Open Reserviour, fill with fluid

3. emerse the other end of the tube in fluid

3. Slaken bleed nipple half a turn

4. pump the brake

The fluid just sits in the reserviour mocking me! I know its laughing at me! why does it torment me so!! :cry: :cry:

shouldnt the fluid be pushed through the system? :?: :?:

what am i doing wrong?

thanks

It often just sits there. It's like there's an air block stopping it getting past the brake piston.

There is a kit you can buy that bleeds brakes but go to B&Q, get some 3mm hose (or take your bleed nipple with you) and buy a couple of meters. Then put it on the nipple and put the other side in your mouth and suck while pumping the brake but don't drink it. :D

Perserve Twisted.

I think that filling the reservoir, opening the nipple, using an elastic band to keep the lever against the handlebar and 20minutes while you figure out where to put the overspill will aslo get the fluid through.

I got all the new bolts and bleed nipple. Now when i try and bleed the system, theres still no pressure!

I'll tell u what i'm doing...

1. Clear tube round the bleed nipple

2. Open Reserviour, fill with fluid

3. emerse the other end of the tube in fluid

3. Slaken bleed nipple half a turn

4. pump the brake

The fluid just sits in the reserviour mocking me! I know its laughing at me! why does it torment me so!! :cry:  :cry:

shouldnt the fluid be pushed through the system? :?:  :?:

what am i doing wrong?

thanks

Get one of the brake bleeding kits, the ones with the one way valve in the pipe, they are only a couple of pounds.

Start the bleeding from the master cyclinder banjo bolt, make sure you cover the tank and put plenty of rags under the banjo bolt, undo the banjo bolt half a turn then pull in the brake lever slowly,hold it in while you nip up the banjo bolt,release the lever and repeat until brake fluid starts to run out of the banjo bolt, next do the same with the banjo bolt on top of the caliper, then bleed the brakes as normal.

When you rebuilt the master cyl and caliper you did make sure the seals where lubed with a little rubber grease ?

Think I would have bought a new master cyl and caliper seal kit.

Do not try sucking brake fluid thru the system with your mouth !!!!!!!! this stuff can strip paint just think what it could do to your mouth !!!!!

Get one of the brake bleeding kits, the ones with the one way valve in the pipe, they are only a couple of pounds.

Start  the bleeding from the master cyclinder banjo bolt, make sure you cover the tank and put plenty of rags under the banjo bolt, undo the banjo bolt half a turn then pull in the brake lever slowly,hold it in while you nip up the banjo bolt,release the lever and repeat until brake fluid starts to run out of the banjo bolt, next do the same with the banjo bolt on top of the caliper, then bleed the brakes as normal.

When you rebuilt the master cyl and caliper you did make sure the seals where lubed with a little rubber grease ?

Think I would have bought a new master cyl and caliper seal kit.

Do not try sucking brake fluid thru the system with your mouth !!!!!!!! this stuff can strip paint just think what it could do to your mouth !!!!!

I gave them some greasin, mainly because i wanted to ensure that the main caliper cynlinder moved smoothly.

I havent messed with the brake as yet, i'm working on some other bits today and will give the brake some tlc tomorrow.

Thanks again, and i'll let you know how i get on.

SORTED!!

The brake works a treat!

i took the caliper to bits again to ensure it was nicely greased and the piston moved smoothly. I also pushed the cylinder all the way in to reduce the amount of air in the system.

Then i attached a long piece of clear hose (1.5m) to the bleed nipple and sucked the piped, whilst holding the caliper above the master cylinder.

Then pumped the brake lever and the fluid started to flow!

After that it was smooth sailing just bleed the brake as usual!

Simple stuff, another satisfied customer :D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks again to all those who made a contribution!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online