DT125 generator / electric start upgrade

d1rkd1gg
This post is 4443 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello All,

I am new to the forum so apologies if this topic has been covered.

I have a DT125x 2004 with crank issues. I have managed to pick up a 2002 dt125r engine, in perfect working order, for less than the cost of rebuilding the 2004. The problem is the the 2004 has electric start, different stator, wiring loom, cdi, regulator rectifier, to the 2002.

Is is possible to put the generator assembly and starter motor from the 2004 on the 2002 engine in order to keep the existing wiring loom, cdi ect thats on the bike?

Is it as straight forward as it seems?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

In a word. no.

As far as i know the cranks are slightly different on the left hand side. The electric start would require the 2002 L/H engine case to be cut and tapped to fit the starter motor.

Like anything, its probably possible to make it fit, but the time and effort may outweigh the cost savings.

HTH

In a word. no.

As far as i know the cranks are slightly different on the left hand side. The electric start would require the 2002 L/H engine case to be cut and tapped to fit the starter motor.

Like anything, its probably possible to make it fit, but the time and effort may outweigh the cost savings.

HTH

Thanks for the reply....thought the crank might be different. My next question is...... can I just forget about the electric start leave the 2002 engine as it is and splice the wires from the old engine into the 2004 wire loom?

• 10 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online