bi-colour LED

drewpy
This post is 4893 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The circuit ^^^ looks just the ticket

i'd just stick a 330ohm resistor (x2) in series with the led anodes, i've never had a problem ballasting LEDs like this.

If your concerned about the LED flickering a 1000microfarad (uF) electrolytic capacitor connected between the resistor/led-connection and the cathode of the LED should provide enough smoothing. Make sure it's rated for at least 40v (50V or 63V would be better and probably easier to get). - maplin should have some.

Drewpy, procede with caution, as I am thinking this from my knowledge and not from direct testing.

will it go bang straight away or pick an inconvenient time to go?

Think go for it and get one of the kids to attach that little red wire on the battery while I'll look for that 50p behind the sofa!! :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

will it go bang straight away or pick an inconvenient time to go?

Think go for it and get one of the kids to attach that little red wire on the battery while I'll look for that 50p behind the sofa!! :)

if it works, it'll last a long time. If it don't it'll be seconds!

it should be fine. try connecting an 330 resistor/LED to a 12v source, before you build the rest of it (heck you could buy a couple of cheap red LEDs to be sure), and see if it's okay. If it is really bright, it will fail in seconds (unless it's a superbright LED of course). If that's okay the rest of the circuit (and the smoothing caps) should be fine.

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/LED-Resistor-kit-pair.html

these ones will only smoke a bit, probably :unsure:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/LED-Resistor-kit-pair.html

these ones will only smoke a bit, probably :unsure:

expensive for a pair of resistors BWJ :o

I'm off tomorrow, so its a bike ride out (weather's supposed to be good) and a calll in the Maplins on the way!

you should only need a 12v capacitor that you can buy for next to nowt from modern radio neer mcd's in bolton ,you can pop in on yer way home from work.

the lady's yes two of them ,,are very nolagable in electronics and will answer any questions you may have..

you should only need a 12v capacitor that you can buy for next to nowt from modern radio neer mcd's in bolton ,you can pop in on yer way home from work.

the lady's yes two of them ,,are very nolagable in electronics and will answer any questions you may have..

that's the one near the new uni methinks!

yup thats the one...you can park in mcds car park and pop round the corner..get a burger when you get back iff you want to.

yup thats the one...you can park in mcds car park and pop round the corner..get a burger when you get back iff you want to.

not eating that shit :lol:

hey, don't knock it,,im told all the master chefs work in them places..:lol:

no that's master bakers :D

I'll draw you a picture to show how you could get this to work when I get 5 mins

have you managed to call into modern radio andy.

what did they say.

oh,,and what did you think of the young bird,,the one with the piercings,,phrooo :D

have you managed to call into modern radio andy.

what did they say.

oh,,and what did you think of the young bird,,the one with the piercings,,phrooo :D

every time i've been past its been shuttered up.

I'll draw you a picture to show how you could get this to work when I get 5 mins

I'd appreciate that.

I have a sealed reed relay DPST, couple of 330 ohm resistors, and a couple of ceramic caps rated @ 50v. Pillingas has given me good advice up to now, but I'm all for more info!

I also managed to get meself a tiny case and mini hobby board for soldering onto.

I must be good at soldering as I repaired ny vauxhaull key fob as the battery holder snapped off!

cheers

drewps

Ta-Dah!

v5i990.jpg

you won't need capacitors, just a voltage limiting resistor as per the diagram

I'm sure you could use a simple BC547C series transistor in place of a relay. Not tried it, but these are very cheap and easily available.

cool, and with pretty colours.

thanks for the diagrams I'm sure they'll help other peeps out :thumb:

• 1 month later...

Just to let you know, thanks to the peeps who helped, it works a treat.

Got green for neutral, red for high beam and amber if they are both on :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online