solenoid?

Pabz88
This post is 4929 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey all

basically my xvs 250 broke down on my way to work two days ago

i was happily riding along when i started to gradually lose power. until it got to the point where i completely lost power.

i waited around (AGGGGGGGGGGGES) for the AA and the guy said he is 95% sure that its my solenoid.

im new to this but i was under the impression that the solenoid only started the bike?

basically my question is, could the solenoid have caused me to gradually lose power and brake down?

would rather have a rought idea b4 i buy a new one

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hey all

basically my xvs 250 broke down on my way to work two days ago

i was happily riding along when i started to gradually lose power. until it got to the point where i completely lost power.

i waited around (AGGGGGGGGGGGES) for the AA and the guy said he is 95% sure that its my solenoid.

im new to this but i was under the impression that the solenoid only started the bike?

basically my question is, could the solenoid have caused me to gradually lose power and brake down?

would rather have a rought idea b4 i buy a new one

not unless it was shorting the fuses out.

I wonder if it was a different solinoid, maybe for fuel delivery or such!

A solenoid is a simple on or off device, so if that failed your float bowls would run out of fuel and splutter to a stop, dont really know what would cause a gradual loss of power on a bike-so cant help you there :huh:

defo not a solenoid problem..... unless drewpy is right and you have a short. the fuel pump should be mechanical (like the 125)

could be a number of things.... :blink::unsure:<_<

best thing to do is check over the bike

1.check fuses and spark plugs

2.check fuel lines are clear (including carb) and there is no dirt in there

3.check all cables/connections and battery (battery should be reading out about 13volts!)

4.check the air filter and the carb joint (the black plastic bit going from carb to cylinders) there prone to getting cracks and splits

5.check oil (make sure its good and not white and creamy)

once you have checked these report back then we can narrow down the fault.

and just to say my xvs 125 did something similar just died whilst riding, it started but could only do 30 top and was making strange noises.

put on the new solenoid today and guesse wht :D.....wasnt the solenoid...im still bikeless, very annoyed....STUPID AA MAN TELLING ME ITS THE SOLONOID!

wht a waste of 40 frecking quid.

paul should have read ur reply sooner.. lol

got all my lights working fine....there working on full power....

when i try and bump start it it kind of shudders and dies and when i try and start it the solenoid buzzes very loudly

going to do all those checks u suggested tomorow (well my dad will while im at work) will keep you guys posted

any more advice? (anyone wanna swap a broke xvs 250 for a fully functional xvs 650 lol)

put on the new solenoid today and guesse wht :D.....wasnt the solenoid...im still bikeless, very annoyed....STUPID AA MAN TELLING ME ITS THE SOLONOID!

wht a waste of 40 frecking quid.

paul should have read ur reply sooner.. lol

got all my lights working fine....there working on full power....

when i try and bump start it it kind of shudders and dies and when i try and start it the solenoid buzzes very loudly

going to do all those checks u suggested tomorow (well my dad will while im at work) will keep you guys posted

any more advice? (anyone wanna swap a broke xvs 250 for a fully functional xvs 650 lol)

If it slowly lost power it seem more likely to be fuelling is there a fuel pump on this model?

If it slowly lost power it seem more likely to be fuelling is there a fuel pump on this model?

i dont think so :(

The solenoid buzzes, does the starter turn ? :huh:

yeah the starter turns but the bike is completly lifless apart from my lights, my lights are fully functional and bright aswell

Forget the lights-the battery is what makes them work, spark, fuel and compression is what to concentrate on, keep the lights and all other 'stuff' off or your next post will be battery issues, check for a clean strong spark, check for good fuel delivery to the carbs, then let us know how that went :mellow:

Forget the lights-the battery is what makes them work, spark, fuel and compression is what to concentrate on, keep the lights and all other 'stuff' off or your next post will be battery issues, check for a clean strong spark, check for good fuel delivery to the carbs, then let us know how that went :mellow:

+1

oh one thing to try..(which would check the electrics) when you turn the ignition on you should hear a click....not a click from the key end but from the middle of the bike.

that click is the main relay routing power to the ecu ect, its a bit on the quiet side so might take 1 or 2 tries to hear it. :D

if it dont click then its a new main relay you will need.

but check ur fuel lines/carb and spark plugs 1st.

Pabz, I think I've got a similar issue, did you manage to figure out the problem?

nah sorry daz, gave up and had mechs pick it up this morning, whats your bike doing?

as soon as i know ill let u know m8

after having the bike since tuesday they got round to looking at it yesterday ti find that the starter motor is screwed....

i expected as much when i took the starter motor off the bike, wired it back up, and when i tried the ignition the starter motor didnt spin

only problem is that the 250 xvs is quiet rare in the uk,as are the parts. even the mechanic was having trouble yesterday, im not sure if he even found a starter motor, we will wait and see.

good luck daz

after having the bike since tuesday they got round to looking at it yesterday ti find that the starter motor is screwed....

i expected as much when i took the starter motor off the bike, wired it back up, and when i tried the ignition the starter motor didnt spin

only problem is that the 250 xvs is quiet rare in the uk,as are the parts. even the mechanic was having trouble yesterday, im not sure if he even found a starter motor, we will wait and see.

good luck daz

still doesn't explain why the bike broke down :huh:

still doesn't explain why the bike broke down :huh:

shrugs* me dont know, i just say what mechanic man told me

it will be 3 weeks this monday and its driving me mad, need to ride soon :@

i think the starter motor is just the start of your problems my freind.

it dont explain why the bike died on you as it is a seperate componant(in terms of it dont do nowt till you press the button)

but it could be the efect of the problem...... best ask your mechanic to dig deeper and find the fault.

will do guys, thanx for everythin :)

my bike does have a flat spot on the throttle, maybe this broke me down in the first place? dirt in the carb?

will do guys, thanx for everythin :)

my bike does have a flat spot on the throttle, maybe this broke me down in the first place? dirt in the carb?

does sound like a carb issue

are you sure he said solenoid it sounds more like TPS sensor,your starter is a different issue altogether it would not cause the symptoms you described losing power but the TPS sensor might or as suggested a carb problem.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online