1978 DT 400 crankcase cover (left side)

This post is 4944 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi! Anybody have any idea why the BREATHER SKU: 583-15371-00-00, hose SKU: 90445-07040-00 (L510)and clamp SKU: 90465-10096-00 seem to be missing on 1978 YAMAHA DT 400s? There is a provision on the magneto cover where the breather would go but there is no hole their! I checked out some close up pictures of other 1978 Yamaha dt 400s and it is the same as mine. If you check the parts diagram at http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx it is supposed to be their. I am not sure if all 1978 dt 400s do not have it or just some.

I believe it lets moiture escape due to condensation from the stator/magneto compartment. I just wanted to see if anybody else noticed that if you own on these motorcycles.

Could the factory have forgotten to install it on some of these motorcycles? If Anyone has any ideas about this let me know

thanks,

dm

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi! Anybody have any idea why the BREATHER SKU: 583-15371-00-00, hose SKU: 90445-07040-00 (L510)and clamp SKU: 90465-10096-00 seem to be missing on 1978 YAMAHA DT 400s? There is a provision on the magneto cover where the breather would go but there is no hole their! I checked out some close up pictures of other 1978 Yamaha dt 400s and it is the same as mine. If you check the parts diagram at http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx it is supposed to be their. I am not sure if all 1978 dt 400s do not have it or just some.

I believe it lets moiture escape due to condensation from the stator/magneto compartment. I just wanted to see if anybody else noticed that if you own on these motorcycles.

Could the factory have forgotten to install it on some of these motorcycles? If Anyone has any ideas about this let me know

thanks,

dm

hi

i have had four dt 175s and all had that same thing on casing,i was led to believe it was there for the earlier motors that had points to allow condensation out as you said,i am also led to believe cdi set up does not need it.

cheers

mark.

I found an old Yamaha service bulletin for the DT100/DT125/175 that says they discontinued the case with the breather vent with one that has a groove cut in it. If you remove the cover you should find a small groove cutout at the bottom of the case to let out any water / moisture. Tony.

[

dm

hi

i have had four dt 175s and all had that same thing on casing,i was led to believe it was there for the earlier motors that had points to allow condensation out as you said,i am also led to believe cdi set up does not need it.

cheers

mark.

Hi mark!

Thanks for your answer. I am not so sure about that because I know 1975 Yamaha dt 400's have that breather installed and they are configured with CDI ignition. Thanks again for you help. DM

I found an old Yamaha service bulletin for the DT100/DT125/175 that says they discontinued the case with the breather vent with one that has a groove cut in it. If you remove the cover you should find a small groove cutout at the bottom of the case to let out any water / moisture. Tony.

Hi Tony!

I had the cover off and I was looking really close for any groove anywhere in it and I cannot find anything. If you found that service bulletin online can you tell me where you found it so I can take a look at? It makes sense but too bad it does not say dt250/400 also. Thanks for your help,DM

The cover usually has a very small cutout at the bottom to let water/condensation out where it covers the rotor.Did you look behind the gasket. You should also find one in the oil pump cover at the bottom. The bulletin I got as a job lot in a folder off ebay. Not sure how to post a picture here but if you send me your email address to [email protected] I will see if I can send you a picture .Tony

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online