How to Put Stripes on with new paint job

realrayzor
This post is 4935 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, I'm in the middle of respraying my bike.

I'm doing it myself :D It seems to be coming along well.

I have sprayed it a nice royal blue but i have not put any lacquer on yet, i would like to put some nice silver stripes down the middle of the tank, fenders etc.

It would be great if anyone could give me some advice or tips from your own DIY experiences before i start it myself.

Here is where i'm at.

Bikesnewpaintwork.jpg

Thanks in advance

Razor :thumb:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Does look really nice.

Whenever I've watched American Chopper and Nubs has sprayed stripes he's always sprayed everything the colour of the stripe first (i.e. silver) then once dried he masking tapes off the stripe then paints everything the top colour (i.e. blue) in order to get crisp edges.

I hope someone has a better suggestion on how to do it the other way around, otherwise you'll end up masking everything but the stripe.

If you think about it, spraying the stripe colour first and then top coat gets a better finish as your nor having to mask a whole tank off but just the stripey bit. less room for error!

just put some silver duck tape on, we won't know the difference :lol:

If you think about it, spraying the stripe colour first and then top coat gets a better finish as your nor having to mask a whole tank off but just the stripey bit. less room for error!

just put some silver duck tape on, we won't know the difference :lol:

Hmmm whats duck tape

thDuck1.gif

use plastic bags to cover most of the tank (saves leaving tape marks)

you need to do some tests to find out when would be the best time to take the tape off after you have painted the stripe on. you want it so the paint sets enough so it dont drip but runny enough it dont stretch. i found that the paint would sort of stretch along the edges leaving a like riped efect.....if that makes any sense :blink:

but yeah do some tests then you can get it right when you come to do the tank and fenders.

oh and i found electrical tape was quite good to use. :D

you need to flat it back first then apply your lacquer then apply your stripes if not it could pull you blue paint off, then flat back again ,then top coat of lacquerill be was, then polish

make sure you use petrol resistant lacquer or all your time and effort will be wasted the first time you drop a little petrol over the tank when filling up

when applying your stripes, that's if your not painting them (its difficult to stop them from bleeding mate) , use soapy water not a lot but this will help you to move the stripe around until your happy, the use some sort of squeegy to make sure all the air is out and it is firmly pressed onto the tank this is easier than painting them on

Well Lads, thanks for all the advice. Hell i could really fec this up. :rolleyes::(

Thanks FZR Al thats good advice.

make sure you use petrol resistant lacquer or all your time and effort will be wasted the first time you drop a little petrol over the tank when filling up

I have this expensive tape that painters use for cutting in when using gloss, it prevents paint ripples and seaping, i'm just afraid that it will rip the blue up.

I'll give it a go and see how it turns out.

I'll post a few pics when i'm done

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Well i finally got it finished. I'm probably not a 100% happy wit it all but i think it will do,, for now.

In summary, i found it easy to strip and clean the parts, :D it just take a lot of time :rolleyes:

Priming and paint the royal blue turned out well i thought.

Bikepaintprimer.jpg

Bikesnewpaintwork.jpg

But my problems started when i tried putting on the stripes. I found this to be damn akward :angry:

First i used masking tape and the result was alot bleeding and rough edges.

So i started again and used normal electricians tape, i had much better lines but where ever there was a bump or kink i would get bleeding. as you can see in the pickie.

2011-03-09162341.jpg

Had to do alot fixing and messing around to get it right in the end. To be honest i'm sorry i tried putting stripes on, shudda just left it all blue.

In the end, i just put stripes on the front and rear fenders. I just didn't have the heart to put in on the tank. :lol:

Ah well at least i learned something,,, leave it to the professionals :D:D

Anyway here are some pics of the end result

2011-03-18111731.jpg

2011-03-18111746.jpg

2011-03-18111805.jpg

2011-03-18111821.jpg

Nice one razor, at least you had a go, its got your personal touch now and looks good. It might have been an idea to do some smoothing 1600 wet/dry (used wet) followed with T-Cut, you would have got a nice smooth finish with nowhere to 'bleed' to. Yes I know, it's a bit late saying this now :rolleyes:

Well done, she looks great. ;)

:D Cheers m8. I'll deffo give another go,,,,next year.

good on ya for having a go mate. We all have to start somwhwere and I think next time you get the urge, you'll be spot on.

I'd still have a go wet flatting it and trying again if need be! ;)

Thanks Drewpy,

Reakon i was too eager to get it finished and just rushed it.

AH well :rolleyes:

Razor

Back in the day :rolleyes: I would have done this with a badger hair 'fitch' freehand, art is what got me into bikes, I did airbrush and pinstriping work in the early eighties, and , done some early work for a couple of m8's who became 'prospects', and have a claim to fame-in the early eighties there was a young Jock from the motocross world called Scott Gardener, I liveried a lid for him and at the time Michael Jacksons album 'Bad' had just been released-so the commission was to do the helmet in the style of the album cover 'Who's Bad', Blackhat will remember this guy B)

Ha, first casette tape i ever bought was "BAD"

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online