Dt 175, 125, fuel tank sizes

This post is 4773 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi fellow DT fans ,,,, B) The model DT175/125. 1975 [ red black/white blocks], And 1976/77 [ white /red stripe] , is there any difference in size of tank , I had 1976 model new, wen 17, and last year bought DT125, [white/blue]. got decals 175 [ Converted now] my painter says decals are too big for tank :unsure: ,,, Heres the two examples,

DT125013.jpg

33cb_1.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi fellow DT fans ,,,, B) The model DT175/125. 1975 [ red black/white blocks], And 1976/77 [ white /red stripe] , is there any difference in size of tank , I had 1976 model new, wen 17, and last year bought DT125, [white/blue]. got decals 175 [ Converted now] my painter says decals are too big for tank :unsure: ,,, Heres the two examples,

DT125013.jpg

33cb_1.jpg

Sure the red one isn't a CT3, that tank don't look DT to me. The fluted area up to the headstock and the flat sides is more like the CT's

As far as DT tanks go they should be the same, you may have a change over tank thats a bit of both MX and twinshock as they would have started tooling for the MX but i think its unlikely.

Yes my feeling is you have a CT tank on the red one and a DT tank on the white one. Sorry, mind neither are technically wrong i suppose. Don't help with the graphics though. <_<

Your bike whte tank, blue stripe...That has all the shape and style of a DT175/125MX model :unsure:

ask our Cynic about cobbing things in skips :P

It was up in the for sale section for long enough. :rolleyes:

I have the front end for a DTR i can't give away. A good brake disk too.

DT125013.jpg

33cb_1.jpg

Hi Blackhat250

I had a silver tanked 1G1 DT 175 on a 1978 S plate this bike had a light blue/dark blue combination decal, I now have another 1G1 DT 175 1977 R plate with a white tank and red decals both these tanks have the same dimensions, I think this bike was the last twin shock version,

http://motorcyclepictureoftheday.blogspot.com/2009/05/yamaha-dt175-restoration-amazing-before.html (silver style)

http://www.smiffy.com/gary/1G1.htm (white/red stripe style)

These both have the same tank shape

Back in the early 80's I also had a play with another type of DT 175 that had a different shaped tank, this tank was red like the one in your picture the shape difference was very subtle, the the bike was also a N reg 1974 bike, this bike had a swing arm which was not braced/a different fuel tank cap/different seat latch and a second spark plug hole that could be used to fit a different plug often one that would run at a different temp,

http://www.americanlisted.com/idaho_12/motorcycles_10/1975_yamaha_dt175_enduro_1100_heyburn_13785563.html

this bike has a more rounded tank shape, although I think the tank will fit both frames,

I think the later 1978 DT was a CT1 / cross over model,and the earlier white black decals would be too big or would not fit the later tank.

Hi nayruf " your a bigger Dt annorack than me :D .. Brilliant info. i had the White/ red.1976 , new back then, I wanted the 1975 colours, but when i went to pick up bike, [ 1st Aug] R reg, they changed to 76 colours :( ,,So now am making my own , B) ,,

After mutch discusion, today ,and loads of trawling, there are diffrences, in pitch of top & front of tanks, also decals are slightly different. bevel front on decals, and round, short pieces to filler cap,& long.

Hav ordered the correct decals,

Was out on my H2 today, after rebuilt engine [honed/ new rings/ & 3rd gear,and selector fork] , My shudda seen the smoke :rolleyes: . after bleeding pump, & pre-mix.. Smooth changes now,

Now for the DT..............

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online