help dragstar 125

lesm
This post is 4958 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Help got a dragstar 125 that wont turn over solenoid clicking recent battery

right changed solenoid, changed starter motor, charged battery still clicking not turning over any suggestions

les

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1st off you didnt need to swap everything lol :D

it sounds like an earthing problem or a battery problem.

so lets keep it simple ;)

1. check the fuses

2. charge the battery over night (take it out of the bike) the solenoid needs at least 12v to work properly so if the battery is slightly low then all you will get is a "click" take it out and charge it for a minimum of 4 hours on a trickle charger, this will ensure that the battery is fully charged.

if that dont solve the problem (which i think it will) then try below.

there are 2 bolts on the starter solenoid one should go to the positive on the battery and the other to the starter motor, you want to put something metal (like a spanner) across the points to complete the circuit and see if the starter motor turns. (be carefully as it will spark and possibly blow a fuse, oh and wear some decent gloves)

this should make the starter motor turn as it bypasses the start button, if the motor dont turn then it could be an earthing problem.

get some wire, undo a bolt that holds the starter motor on and wrap one end of the wire to the bolt then tighten it back up, then attach the other end of the wire to a bolt on the frame, say the bolt that holds the rear brake cable in place. this will directly earth the starter motor, then try to start it again.

if you find that it works with the wire but dont work without the wire, then its an earthing problem. i can go through how to fix it with u if you need to.

hope this helps and post a reply to let me know how u get on B)

.Paul.

cheers Paul

turns out that the battery is well dodgey shows 12v charged and then gives out about half that when needed,

reason I didnt think it could be batt was its fairly new about 6 months old

know anyone who wants to buy a second hand starter or solenoid lol

cheers les :(

well a good battery should show between 13 and 14v fully charged :blink: think your battery has been stood in the cold for a while :unsure:

i dont know anyone who needs one m8 but im sure you could sell the starter motor on e-bay for a good price. but personally id keep it for a spare as they cost quite a bit new.

cheers Paul

turns out that the battery is well dodgey shows 12v charged and then gives out about half that when needed,

reason I didnt think it could be batt was its fairly new about 6 months old

know anyone who wants to buy a second hand starter or solenoid lol

cheers les :(

if you're keeping the bike, I'd hang onto em. The moment you get rid, the next day you'll want em. S'called Sods's Law. :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online