Whats that noise?

Mr Creosote
This post is 4935 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ho! fellow Yam lovers, I have this weird problem that's proving difficult to diagnose. Sometimes and ONLY sometimes I hear this awful yowling noise from my XJ600. The reason I say it's difficult to diagnose is that it disappeares when you go below 50mph and as I'm sure you'll agree you can't really hear much but wind above 50mph (well, not MY wind anyways). However, I was travelling home late last night and I heard the noise and had a look down and noticed that the speedo light was glowing dull then normal; unusual as all the other clocks didn't vary. Whenever I dipped below 50, the clock light became normal and the sound vanished. Could this be a noisey speedo cable problem?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ho! fellow Yam lovers, I have this weird problem that's proving difficult to diagnose. Sometimes and ONLY sometimes I hear this awful yowling noise from my XJ600. The reason I say it's difficult to diagnose is that it disappeares when you go below 50mph and as I'm sure you'll agree you can't really hear much but wind above 50mph (well, not MY wind anyways). However, I was travelling home late last night and I heard the noise and had a look down and noticed that the speedo light was glowing dull then normal; unusual as all the other clocks didn't vary. Whenever I dipped below 50, the clock light became normal and the sound vanished. Could this be a noisey speedo cable problem?

could be your nervous passenger shreiking above 50! :D

I had a grommet missing off my helmet once and that thing whistled at a certain speed, turned my head to listen to the engine and it went. Took me ages to suss that one out. :rolleyes:

if it were a car I could say fan belt for alternator, but I have no idea what it can be in your instance!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for replying guys. Well the noise is still there and I still have no idea what it could be or where it's coming from but when it goes away, it just stops immediately on or about 50 mph. Oh and by the way, no one is brave enough to go on it above 50 lol!

Take it for a quick spin after you've removed the speedo cable (temporarily)....just to see if that noise persists :unsure:

Lube the hell out of that cable before re-installing too. ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online