XJ6 First and second gear whine

Arthur45
This post is 4886 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Sorry but although I posted about this before its still bothering me a little. Its going in for its first service soon but I don't want to be fobbed off.

My XJ6 runs fine, pulls very well and never misses a beat. But I have noticed that when pulling away or low speeds in first or second I can hear a whitsling/whine noise (between 2000 to 3000 rpm). If you increase the revs its goes. If I pull the clutch in it goes. When the bike is on the stand i can hold the throttle at a rev range and hear the noise. Can't exactly hear where its coming from, could be the cams or is it the air induction, whistling the air in or possiblly the transmission.

I have seen on forums that the FZ6 has a similar whine.

Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks Arthur

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I had a whine at the back of my bike, but then i realised it was up.yours trying to catch up with me :lol:

When it's running on the stand, is it in gear? If so I reckon it could be your output shaft bearing complaining because the chain it too tight, check the chain tension first and see what that's like. If your dealer PDI'd it or serviced it in a hurry it my have been over tightened, this has happened to my FZS600 and my Missus' FZ6 Fazer, both by the same official Yam dealer.

Yes as Nooj says make sure you have the correct freeplay in your chain which should be in your owners manual or on a decal on the side of the chainguard. Remember the chain will be at it's tightest when the centre of the front sprocket, the swinging arm pivot and rear wheel wheel axle are all in line so as most bikes rear wheel axle are lower then the swinging arm pivot and front sprocket when you sit on the bike the chain will tighten up. Tony

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online