use XV535 virago gaskets on a XVS650 v star

fatty JR
This post is 4875 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello out there,

For the past week, I have been trying to trace a problem with my XVS650.

After replacing the front forks for a set off a XVS1100 (after a little machining) so I could have twin brakes up front, I got the bike out for a test ride and it started bellowing smoke out the rear cylinder. Basicly, I have done every I can think of without resorting to pulling the engine down for inspection (pity as it's only got 4500 miles on the odometer)

Anyway, I have priced up a full engine gasket set for the bike and they want nearly £200 ($320+) for the set which is BLOODY expensive. I have been searching for just the top end gasket set and NO-ONE I have spoken to in the uk does just a top end set. I can buy the individual gaskets from yamaha but works out the same price as a full set. Dennis kirk do one For $118

Well not being the type of person to be ripped of if it can be helped, I have been told that the 650 engine is basicly a bored out and stroked XV535 virago engine. I can buy a top end kit for the virago for £53 or a complete set for £43 ( don't know how that works).

Does anyone know if I could use the virago top end set on the 650?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You are correct. They took the xv535 engine and bored an additional 5mm to get 81 mm and stroked it by an additional 4 mm to 63mm. The result was a 649 cc engine.

I don't know if the top end gaskets will work but it seems reasonable to expect the top end gaskets for the 535 to fit the 650 given those changes.

Rocky

Given that the 650 has a 5mm bigger bore than the 535, I would expect the big hole in the middle of the head gasket to be 5mm too small - how steady are your hands with a Stanley knife?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online