DT175MX Gearbox oil level

Nick60
This post is 4815 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello again from Bulgaria

Following previous advice I managed to locate some Rockoil 10/30 gearbox oil. Chuffed.

Drained old emuslified oil ( without checking how much came out ), and flushed with 650cc cheap oil.

But 650cc took the level way above full on the dipstick. Decided to refill to dipstick level with Rockoil

so put in 500cc without looking at the dipstick, ready to top up using the dipstick. Humph... 500cc is already

above the dipstick mark.

So, the correct amount of oil is 650cc according to the manual and to the casting on the gearbox.

Should I just put in 650cc and be damned,or should I use the dipstick as the correct level. Could I have the wrong dipstick?

Can anyone give me the correct length of the dipstick, say from the bottom of the threads to the tip of the dipstick?

The oil level when I got the bike was correct on the dipstick and the previous owner had the bike for several years so

I guess he'd changed it several times without problems but I can't ask him as he's moved home.

Can anyone advise me please?

Meanwhile, aside from a little piston slap, the bike is running perfectly, reving cleanly to the red line.

Handles like a pig compared to my BMW but hey, I can almost lift the DT off the ground, whereas I struggle to lift the BMW if I drop it so I'm not complaining :D

Thanks in anticipation for some advice,

Nick.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello again from Bulgaria

Following previous advice I managed to locate some Rockoil 10/30 gearbox oil. Chuffed.

Drained old emuslified oil ( without checking how much came out ), and flushed with 650cc cheap oil.

But 650cc took the level way above full on the dipstick. Decided to refill to dipstick level with Rockoil

so put in 500cc without looking at the dipstick, ready to top up using the dipstick. Humph... 500cc is already

above the dipstick mark.

So, the correct amount of oil is 650cc according to the manual and to the casting on the gearbox.

Should I just put in 650cc and be damned,or should I use the dipstick as the correct level. Could I have the wrong dipstick?

Can anyone give me the correct length of the dipstick, say from the bottom of the threads to the tip of the dipstick?

The oil level when I got the bike was correct on the dipstick and the previous owner had the bike for several years so

I guess he'd changed it several times without problems but I can't ask him as he's moved home.

Can anyone advise me please?

Meanwhile, aside from a little piston slap, the bike is running perfectly, reving cleanly to the red line.

Handles like a pig compared to my BMW but hey, I can almost lift the DT off the ground, whereas I struggle to lift the BMW if I drop it so I'm not complaining :D

Thanks in anticipation for some advice,

Nick.

All it does is splash lube the gearbox/clutch components, it isn't pumped anywhere, the cases are'nt pressurised or shouldn't be.

So long as there is oil on the dipstick at or around the right level it really isn't that much of an issue. On a 4stroke oil is the lifeblood of the bike. Not quite so vital on these little strokers.

LT2 & LT3. - 700cc

AT2,AT3,CT2 &CT3 . - 750cc

AT1-C , CT1-C - 800cc All SAE 10W30,

:rolleyes: And gents , i have now a 175cc barrell & head, for my DT125 B) , = DT rideout at squires , :)

LT2 & LT3. - 700cc

AT2,AT3,CT2 &CT3 . - 750cc

AT1-C , CT1-C - 800cc All SAE 10W30,

:rolleyes: And gents , i have now a 175cc barrell & head, for my DT125 B) , = DT rideout at squires , :)

:lol:

I'll be giving that a miss thank you, let me see, 150miles on a comfy fast 250 or a DT175, let me think for. Yep the 250 it is. :P

] or a DT175, let me think for. Yep the 250 it is. :P

You southern jessie you ,:D Dt "s are the inn bike this year, B)

Thank you all for your replies.

Oldgit, thanks for pointing out that the dipstick is read NOT screwed in.... usefull.

Lee, you're obviously no dipstick :D . Ran the bike a few miles and topped it up. Now 650cc of oil shows "full" on the stick. I'm just surprised that the level dropped an inch after use.

You southern jessie you ,:D Dt "s are the inn bike this year, B)

After riding it that far it will be 'in' the crack of your arse :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online