XJ600 N diversion oil problem

Badgerbanger
This post is 4969 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've just bought my first bike, a 1997 XJ 600 N. I did my test on a 125 so have had it restricted.

I have ridden it once and today when I checked the oil it has gone white/emulsified...it was fine when I got the bike at the weekend.

Is there any chance the guy who did the restriction work could have caused any damage to make this happen? Or was there a problem with the bike when I got it and the seller hid it?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've just bought my first bike, a 1997 XJ 600 N. I did my test on a 125 so have had it restricted.

I have ridden it once and today when I checked the oil it has gone white/emulsified...it was fine when I got the bike at the weekend.

Is there any chance the guy who did the restriction work could have caused any damage to make this happen? Or was there a problem with the bike when I got it and the seller hid it?

Wierd, the divvy's air cooled. Is it just on the filler/level plug or is it all through the engine?

It only did 500 miles over the last year before I bought it...so hopefully a full oil and filter change will sort it.

Looks like a job for Saturday morning...especially as the in-laws are coming over, a decent excuse to slope off out of the way for a bit :)

I think you will find this is a common problem on the Diversion that are run in the winter or only do short journeys. It sounds like it is just the engine not getting hot enough to burn off the condensation that forms inside the crankcases. My neighbour has the same problem on his Suzuki GSX600FW Aircooled engine during the cooler months as he only has to go 5 miles to work.If you do a oil/filter change try to get it nice and hot before you drain the oil to try and get rid of the gunge and I would recommend only using a Genuine Yamaha oil filter. Tony

I think you will find this is a common problem on the Diversion that are run in the winter or only do short journeys. It sounds like it is just the engine not getting hot enough to burn off the condensation that forms inside the crankcases. My neighbour has the same problem on his Suzuki GSX600FW Aircooled engine during the cooler months as he only has to go 5 miles to work.If you do a oil/filter change try to get it nice and hot before you drain the oil to try and get rid of the gunge and I would recommend only using a Genuine Yamaha oil filter. Tony

I had me one of those, well the FS anyway. Never had that problem and rode it ice rain or shine for 4 years. Did use ONLY rock synthesis 4 in it. It must be said though, that oil may cost bodyparts to use and change every 6000miles but a neighbour/ friend now owns it and the engine is now on 40,000+ miles on just a couple of shims for the valvegear.

+1 with TONE

get the shitty oil out, new stuff in and filter, go 'the long way to work' in future, if there's any emulsion left in the pipework it'll soon evaporate if you get the oil cooking B)

Took it back to the guy who sold me it...he got it sorted no quibbles at all. Sound bloke :)

Oil out, new filter in. The oil wasn't bad at all when we dropped it out so took the case off and took a look. It seemed to be just on the inside of the case and sight glass...so definitely just a bit of moisture/condensation.

Even managed to get the gasket off in one piece and reused it.

All this, a nice cup of tea and a look round his bikes while he was at it :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online