Engine /Gearbox XJ6

Arthur45
This post is 4892 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I previously posted a topic about XJ6 engine noise. Thanks for the replies. Today I rode about 80 miles. I noticed that once warm and pulling around 2000 revs in first or second I hear a slight winning noise. No knocking etc just a progressive wine. Is this normal. I haven't had such a new bike before and don't know what to expect. Probably talking rubbish. Any thoughts?

Cheers Arthur

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

I previously posted a topic about XJ6 engine noise. Thanks for the replies. Today I rode about 80 miles. I noticed that once warm and pulling around 2000 revs in first or second I hear a slight winning noise. No knocking etc just a progressive wine. Is this normal. I haven't had such a new bike before and don't know what to expect. Probably talking rubbish. Any thoughts?

Cheers Arthur

Mine did this, pin-pointed it to the chain on the chain-guide. It went when i put a 532 chain on (the OE chain self-destructed!). If you are confident look down at the front of the chain @ around 30mph and listen and you will hear the noise.

Mine did this, pin-pointed it to the chain on the chain-guide. It went when i put a 532 chain on (the OE chain self-destructed!). If you are confident look down at the front of the chain @ around 30mph and listen and you will hear the noise.

Interesting. I had mine from new. Unfortunately the wheel alingment markers seemed out a little. So i corrected this. But since then I have been concerned I have the chain too loose. The owners manual says 45 to 55 mm. But doesn't say whether this is the distance pin to pin up and down, or distance pulled down on bottom edge to pushed up on top edge. I have posted about the chain tension and people say it is pin to pin up and down. mine is set around 55 at present. I may tighten mine up a bit.

Thanks

don't forget that drive chains have a slack and tight spot.

adjust the chain on the tight spot or you risk wearing out the output shaft bearing

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online