explaination of how brake light switch works

dan28
This post is 4973 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

can some one explain in words (or maybe diagram) how brake light switches are wired

my rear light has a yellow(live) wire this then connects to two other wires one coming from the rear brake pedal other from front brake lever . so how do the switches earth? at the moment neither are working

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

can some one explain in words (or maybe diagram) how brake light switches are wired

my rear light has a yellow(live) wire this then connects to two other wires one coming from the rear brake pedal other from front brake lever . so how do the switches earth? at the moment neither are working

just a connection to earth using the pedal which pushes/pulls a momentary switch

as far as i know the yellow wire is the positive to the stop light (as opposed to the tail light which comes on with the light switch)

each switch (either on the bars or foot) connects one end to a positive (either direct or via the relay) and the other end to the yellow cable.

so when either switch is on it makes the brake light come on. ;)

thats correct the yellow is postive to the brake light

so on the brake lever there is the yellow wire mentioned above an a another that goes to earth an makes contact with the switch when the lever is pulled

if i earth the other wire to the frame will the brake light then work ?

thats correct the yellow is positive to the brake light

so on the brake lever there is the yellow wire mentioned above an a another that goes to earth an makes contact with the switch when the lever is pulled

if i earth the other wire to the frame will the brake light then work ?

no m8

the rear light (not the indicators) has 3 cables (they all do) one red one black and one yellow

the black one is the earth (both red and yellow positive use it as an earth)

the switch is a link from a positive (from somewhere) to the positive yellow on the light

when you connect the switch and complete the circuit it goes :- positive wire to switch to yellow wire to light to earth.

im not sure if you need to weir it through a relay though, instead of running it straight to 12v

you could just hook it to a 12v positive Wier but you might burn out the switch (if it needs a relay)

the only way it will work the way drewpy sais is if there are 2 earth wires comming out from the light (red is posative and black and yellow are earth)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online