XJ6 engine noise

Arthur45
This post is 4821 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I have a 2010 XJ6 naked. Its done about 450 miles but I have found 2 things. Firstly after a ride of about 40 miles i find a small oil drip at the bottom of the coolant pump. I think it is coming from where the pump enters the engine. The pump did sound a little noisey when the bike warmed up on tick over the other day. Also when I let the bike warm up on the stand I get a slight engine noise / rattle for a very short period of time. It always happens when the temp gauge is about 47 to 50 degrees.

Oh and the manual is a bit unclear about chain slack. The 45 to 55 mm amount shown deosn't say if its when the chain is pulled down and up measured between the same point eg the link pins, or the bottom edge when pulled down and the top edge when pulled up.

any ideas?

Arthur45

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If its still under Warranty get it back to the dealer, chain slack is between the pin up and pin down position, and it doesn't have to be micro accurate, as long as its in that vicinity B)

If its still under Warranty get it back to the dealer, chain slack is between the pin up and pin down position, and it doesn't have to be micro accurate, as long as its in that vicinity B)

Thanks. I have spoken to the dealer. I think the noise is just the vales/tappets warming up. It is due in for its first service next week anyway. The oil leak is going to be looked at too.

The chain slack advice is useful. I have it at about 55 at the moment but it does drag on the plastic guide on the top of the swinging arm when coming off the throttle when the engine is cold. Once the engine and gearbox have warmed up you don't notice it. I might tighten it a touch as the down shifts feel a little clunky with the chain this slack.

Thanks again.

Hi ,My 60 plate XJ6S engine has a similar noise and I reported it at the first service .I was told it was OK .

I have now covered 3,250 miles and its still there .

I will mention it again at the 6,000 service which should be in may this year .

My Local Yamaha dealer Motor cycle and moore has closed so will go back to Poole motorcycles.

John

quote name='Arthur45' timestamp='1297080702' post='141204']

Thanks. I have spoken to the dealer. I think the noise is just the vales/tappets warming up. It is due in for its first service next week anyway. The oil leak is going to be looked at too.

The chain slack advice is useful. I have it at about 55 at the moment but it does drag on the plastic guide on the top of the swinging arm when coming off the throttle when the engine is cold. Once the engine and gearbox have warmed up you don't notice it. I might tighten it a touch as the down shifts feel a little clunky with the chain this slack.

Thanks again.

Thanks. Apparently the engine is a de tuned R6 so should be fairly bullet proof. It's obviously heat related as it goes within a few moments as the engine warms. Do you get the chain rubbing on the plastic part of the arm to? Any issues with oil and the coolant pump?

Cheers

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online