Ping TRX850 Owners

Triton_Builder
This post is 4978 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks,

First post here, so please bear with me.

I'm working on a "modern Triton" build, putting a modern (and eventually highly tuned) Hinckley Bonneville lump in a replica Manx Norton frame. I'm hoping to achieve a truely retro looking bike without the "external lubrication system" of old Triumphs, Duc 900SS level power, modern suspension and, given my eyesight, decent brakes.

So, to get decent front suspension and brakes, I've bought more or less a complete R6 front end, with the "right way up" forks, yokes, calipers, handlebars, switchgear, etc. etc.

However, I want to use spoked wheels on the bike for the retro look, so I have bought TRX850 discs (did I mention I bought a brand new TRX in 1996 but swapped it a season later for a Duc 916?). Whereas the R6 discs bolt to lugs quite a way out on the wheel spokes, the TRX discs bolt to the wheel hub, much better for use on a spoked wheel.

Now, to get a suitable wheel hub, I could do with a couple of simple measurements. If someone is out washing, servicing (or even riding) their TRX this weekend, this shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to complete.

1, I need the centre-to-centre distance between the front discs, i.e. measured parallel to the wheel spindle;

2, I need the inside distance between the discs at the hub, or the width of the hub, which should be the same, again parallel to the wheel spindle.

Many thanks in advance,

Triton_Builder

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

interesting project t_b, would love to see the finished article.

Now i'm not sure how many trx owners will come to help but the latest trx owner to join register was 'mikes trx' who joined in January but never posted. If you dont get your answers them perhaps a PM ? hopefully mike actually does have one

Just an idea

...Paul

:welcome: TB

did you get inspired from cafe racer? there was a guy on there who built one into a wide line freatherbed frame. I think the engine was a TR1 though so it looked like a norvin!

:welcome: TB

did you get inspired from cafe racer? there was a guy on there who built one into a wide line freatherbed frame. I think the engine was a TR1 though so it looked like a norvin!

Been thinking about it for a couple of years. Love old Tritons for their pure racer aesthetics.

I split my time between the UK and Houston, Texas (yes I'm in the oil business and yes my wife is American). I was thinking about an old Bonnie or Commando but would prefer to spend the weekends riding rather than fixing the things, so was looking at a Thruxton. Until I saw one in the flesh. Can we say HAIRDRESSER bike?

The plan is to build the Triton rolling chassis here in the UK where I can pester old geezers in sheds, go to meets and see bikes in the flesh, etc., then buy a "damage repairable" Hickley Bonneville (or variant) as a donor when I return to the US later this year. That way i get around the importation paperwork as the engine will already be US emissions legal and I can "clone" the registration in the US as well.

Anyway, maybe the TDM owners could help as well, as i think the TRX and TDM of the same era share the same forks etc.?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online