XS 400 wheels + supermoto wheels

Dom660
This post is 4974 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I'm looking for ideas for fitting modern wire wheels possibly supermoto wheels to a 1980 XS 400, I've toyed with the idea of replacing the forks and yokes completely to make life easier for modern front wheel fitting, also thinking about replacing the swing arm again hoping that modern wheels/brakes will fit better.

Has anyone experimented with this?

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, I'm looking for ideas for fitting modern wire wheels possibly supermoto wheels to a 1980 XS 400, I've toyed with the idea of replacing the forks and yokes completely to make life easier for modern front wheel fitting, also thinking about replacing the swing arm again hoping that modern wheels/brakes will fit better.

Has anyone experimented with this?

Cheers

not the front, but xj maxim swing arm does fit but the twin shock and its USA based. I got the mono uk version, but it could be used by shaving 3mm either side of the pivot and weld on shock mounts. then theres the caliper to disk mount to consider.

Yeah it's been dificult to come up with an answer, I'm considering using TZR-TDR 250 forks as I prefer just a single disc brake, currently my bike has a drum front brake. The swing arm options I've been looking at are possibly a SRX400,CB400-4 or ER5 twinshock swing arm, but I'm not sure how much machining it will require to fit and wether the shock mounts will line up. Another thought I'm having is wheel size wether to go for 17" supermoto wheeels or try and stick to standard size and go for 18" ?

Yeah it's been dificult to come up with an answer, I'm considering using TZR-TDR 250 forks as I prefer just a single disc brake, currently my bike has a drum front brake. The swing arm options I've been looking at are possibly a SRX400,CB400-4 or ER5 twinshock swing arm, but I'm not sure how much machining it will require to fit and wether the shock mounts will line up. Another thought I'm having is wheel size wether to go for 17" supermoto wheeels or try and stick to standard size and go for 18" ?

with 17" you have more tyre options. TDR sounds ok to me.

On my tracker I am putting a 320mm tzr125 disk and a xjr1300 blue spot caliper. thats on to an xs250 wire wheel.

what ever you do, don't throw away the fork and wire wheels, they are great for peeps to make a cafe racer!

Hi, thanks for your recomendations, I think I'll head towards the 17" wheels, though what size rear tyre will you run?. I've been looking at some KTM LC4 supermoto wheels, though I'm concerned that the width of the rear tyre might foul the run of the chain.

I've had a quick look at the pictures of your Tracker, its looking really good, its also nice to see the progress in stages too, are you nearer to finishing?

:lol: I'd like to think so, but I keep plugging away. I'm in a couple of weeks and hope to do a lot more!

what's the width of the whole tyre/wheel combo. for ref a 120 tyre will just fit in the standard swing arm without chain guard!

Looks like I might have to rethink, the rear on the KTM is 160 width tyre, so thats a no go, maybe then a set of 125 - 250 cc spoked wheels.

• Who's Online (See full list)