TTR250 Raid (1992) No engine Number

CapriGi
This post is 4972 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, people.

Have bought recently Yamaha TTR250 Raid for my out of city activities. I used a bike without registration one year and now I need to register it.

But police tells me that without No. of engine they will not register it. I have only frame VIN and just 4GY (just four letters) for the engine. Police tells that I need to show them 9 digits at least on the engine. That is just ridiculous situation.

The year of origin of my bike is 1992.

Any help or explanation will be highly appreciated.

:huh:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think they are wrong, its an import and in Japan they only put the model code (from what I understand). member 'Cynic' has this same situation on his TDR20. Thinking about it sensibly though wont the DVLA documents agree with this.

And another question...what if the crankcase was damaged and replaced? i'm sure the dealer couldnt stamp the number and you would probably end up with just the code like yours has.

I think they are wrong, its an import and in Japan they only put the model code (from what I understand). member 'Cynic' has this same situation on his TDR20. Thinking about it sensibly though wont the DVLA documents agree with this.

And another question...what if the crankcase was damaged and replaced? i'm sure the dealer couldnt stamp the number and you would probably end up with just the code like yours has.

no, I think it is just because it is too old and in Japan they just did not marked any vins on the engine, just the type of it. Do not know how to explain it to the officer at registration.

Yes your bike is a japaneese import, on Japan market bikes the model code is all that is stamped on the casings. Like my TDR 250 with 1KT as an engine number.

But, and its a biggy. Italy has some hideous registration/import requirements that can cost an absoloute fortune. Not to mention a 6 month limit to registering the vehicle. See the link below, its in English but yours looks pretty good so you should be ok.

Imprting vehicles into Italy

Thought this might help a little, some info on your bike from a TTR nut.

Usefull TTR info

Sorry can't be more help.

Yes your bike is a japaneese import, on Japan market bikes the model code is all that is stamped on the casings. Like my TDR 250 with 1KT as an engine number.

But, and its a biggy. Italy has some hideous registration/import requirements that can cost an absoloute fortune. Not to mention a 6 month limit to registering the vehicle. See the link below, its in English but yours looks pretty good so you should be ok.

Imprting vehicles into Italy

Thought this might help a little, some info on your bike from a TTR nut.

Usefull TTR info

Sorry can't be more help.

Thank you a lot for your help. It is very very useful for me. Will try to explain everything to my Italy police. I suppose they know this problem but do not want to admit it :(

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online