xj 600n oil cooler and pipe leaks

Guest Lightning5
This post is 4981 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guest Lightning5

I have a 1996 xj 600n ( single front disc ).It has done 22000m, and serviced every 4000m. Recently it has started to weep oil from the left-hand side oil cooler pipe, at the union where it goes into the oil cooler. I have replaced both crush washers ( twice ) on that side, but it is still weeping out, from under the bottom crush washer.I was thinking about trying to source a replacement oil cooler and pipes from a breakers.The price of new bits is apparently v.expensive. Is it possible to remove the cooler and run without it. The previous model year of this bike was identical, but managed without an oil cooler. If this is possible, has anybody any suggestions how I would block off the holes in the engine where the pipes go in. Does anybody know if blanking plates are available for this ? Or would I be able to cut the pipes, below the steel flexi portion, and maybe plug weld the open ends.Any ideas ? Doug.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest martinread

Hi, Wouldn't do that if I was you it's there for a reason, cooling the oil :lol: have you had the compression tested it might be that you have worn bores and that could lead to a pressure build up in the crank case I know it's unlikley but worth checking. Otherwise try taking the oil cooler housing off of the bike and get it checked at a local engineers to see if the bearing faces are true and flat (both sides)you might just have some wear/warping that you can't see with out the right measuring kit. Just a couple of ideas, probably wrong but thought I would throw them out there.

Guest Lightning5

Hi, Wouldn't do that if I was you it's there for a reason, cooling the oil :lol: have you had the compression tested it might be that you have worn bores and that could lead to a pressure build up in the crank case I know it's unlikley but worth checking. Otherwise try taking the oil cooler housing off of the bike and get it checked at a local engineers to see if the bearing faces are true and flat (both sides)you might just have some wear/warping that you can't see with out the right measuring kit. Just a couple of ideas, probably wrong but thought I would throw them out there.

Thanks for that. Any advice appreciated.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online