need fix for front wheel with buckle

realrayzor
This post is 4960 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Right,, i did the balance test "Correctly this time" and i reakon the balance is ok. I had to move the weight just one spoke and that gave a good balance.

As far as the spokes go,, i don't get the same ping from every spoke when i tap them with a spanner. I suppose the correct sound i'm looking for is a high ping and not do, ray, me, fa, so, la, ti, do.

Is tightening the spokes a job a noob like me could try or should i leave this to the experts?

If its not the balance or the spokes that's wrong is there something else that i have over looked??

Cheers Guys

Razor :thumb:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

(1) As far as the spokes go,, i don't get the same ping from every spoke when i tap them with a spanner. I suppose the correct sound i'm looking for is a high ping

(2) Is tightening the spokes a job a noob like me could try or should i leave this to the experts?

(3) If its not the balance or the spokes that's wrong is there something else that i have over looked??

(1) Yep, high ping is what ya want. Find a few that are of the same sound,,,then tighten the others to this.

(2) Unless they are very loose you will only be giving each one a slight turn. If its just the odd spoke here and there then its ok to just slightly nip them up. If on the other hand they are all loose on the same side of the wheel for example then it gete more tricky. You will have to make sure you are not pulling the wheel out of true. Overtighting on one side will loosen the other side and you will end up with a mess,,,,,,a wheel out of true and never keep tyres on the old girl.

Put the wheel into whatever ya used to check the balance,,,,

Hammer a nail into a piece of wood,,,,

Hold the piece of wood in something steady and place the nail end 1mm (or less if ya can) from the iron rim of the wheel,,,,

Spin the wheel slowly at first and then at different speeds,,,,

The iron rim of the wheel should never hit the nail,,,,,it should stay the same distance away all the time while the wheel is turning.

(3) Could be something else,,,,,,,,,,how bad a crash was the bike in ? was it a head on hit ?

Jaysus that took me ages to type :mellow:

if you tighten your spokes don't overtighten them! My stealer overtightened mine and the spokes snapped whilst I was doing 40mph with the missus on the back. 5mins earlier I was doing 60mph :huh:

if you tighten your spokes don't overtighten them! My stealer overtightened mine and the spokes snapped whilst I was doing 40mph with the missus on the back. 5mins earlier I was doing 60mph :huh:

bloody hell mate, scary. I'm lucky, i can take mine to bill the wheel, a retired builder who still builds wheels for the a manx TT team!

(1) Yep, high ping is what ya want. Find a few that are of the same sound,,,then tighten the others to this.

(2) Unless they are very loose you will only be giving each one a slight turn. If its just the odd spoke here and there then its ok to just slightly nip them up. If on the other hand they are all loose on the same side of the wheel for example then it gete more tricky. You will have to make sure you are not pulling the wheel out of true. Overtighting on one side will loosen the other side and you will end up with a mess,,,,,,a wheel out of true and never keep tyres on the old girl.

Put the wheel into whatever ya used to check the balance,,,,

Hammer a nail into a piece of wood,,,,

Hold the piece of wood in something steady and place the nail end 1mm (or less if ya can) from the iron rim of the wheel,,,,

Spin the wheel slowly at first and then at different speeds,,,,

The iron rim of the wheel should never hit the nail,,,,,it should stay the same distance away all the time while the wheel is turning.

(3) Could be something else,,,,,,,,,,how bad a crash was the bike in ? was it a head on hit ?

Jaysus that took me ages to type :mellow:

lol it took me as long to read. Us clare boys aint tha clever :lol: .

I did check to see if the wheel was true, it is out by a couple of mm on one side. But it really surprises me that it would cause the wheel to shimmer like it does. 1 thing i noticed when driving the bike was when turning right it seems worse. Strange that!

I think ill admit defeat and take the wheel into the nearest bike shop and ask them to sort it if they can.

Peace

From what the oldboy who had it last said, a dog ran out in front of him and he just fell to one side, slid along the ground and slammed into kerb. I'd say the wheel took the brunt. Poor bloke nearly had a heart attack from the fright. Flippin dogs :angry:

That is a scary thought :o I went tightening the spokes on a bi-cycle one time and wound up with something looking like a pringle.. Woops :rolleyes:

bloody hell mate, scary. I'm lucky, i can take mine to bill the wheel, a retired builder who still builds wheels for the a manx TT team!

Tell me about it... fortunately through blind panic & pure luck I didn't come off. Of course stealer denied it was anything to do with them and claimed my spokes were rusty and tried to say they were dangerous before they touched them... but they knew that was b0ll0cks! Besides I told them if they were dangerous they'd have told me that and said they needed changing (it was in for it's MOT & failed in part for loose spokes).

Fortunately there's a fella called Les who is based between Wetherby and York (Tockwoth) who builds and re-builds wheels & is the only person I would ever go to in future. If anyone wants his number let me know :)

• 2 weeks later...

HI all, finally got the wheel sorted. Brought it into my nearest bike shop and they sorted it. They took off all the spokes and checked the rim, it had a slight inwards kink. The guy said it was right on the point where the rim was joined together??? :( That worries me a little but he said its as good as new again. I'm gonna collect it this weekend and see how it feels on the bike..

Finally have figured out the paint work so gonna start that this week also. Changing it to a royal blue with silver stripes down the middle of the fenders and tank. Shud be good. :D

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. No doubt i'll be back on again

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online