What is this in my left Air Cleaner? A condenser or a relay?

Kelum
This post is 4876 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys...at the left air cleaner of my bike has this electronic device which seems to be a condenser or a relay as I saw somewhat similar ones on ebay.

Also there are two wire leads that fit into connectors of the condenser/relay...but I dont know what is negative and poisitive (wires from bike I assume red is positive, black (two wires soldered together ) is negative ) but on this device both connectors are black...cant figure out polarity..

I dont know if its functional, earlier user seems to have had it disconnected for some reason..and I wonder what does it do..all the lights and stuff doing fine..but the wire leads from bike and this electronic bit disconnected...can someone help?

cimg0153bg.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just a complete random guess here, butt, I think its a Relais Kondensator :)

looks like a capacitor, its a bit like a battery that it holds a small charge. Maybe its to either kickstart a relay or smoothout spikes from generator.

It won't matter which way its wired, AFAIK ther's no poliarity on these!

Ok guys I will have a look...if its a capacitor I know it stores electricity..but what function does it do in the bike, what circuit does it handle...? thats the question..and unwired, it doesnt seem to affect anything..hm :unsure:

are you alreet kelum, i havn't heard from you for a while,hope your well.

as for the cap, if it is not broke,, don't fix it...:D

are you alreet kelum, i havn't heard from you for a while,hope your well.

as for the cap, if it is not broke,, don't fix it...:D

yeah mate am alright thanx..what cap ? are u talking about tappets...? but cant figure out where the oil leaking from.. :unsure:

• 2 months later...

Ok guys I will have a look...if its a capacitor I know it stores electricity..but what function does it do in the bike, what circuit does it handle...? thats the question..and unwired, it doesnt seem to affect anything..hm :unsure:

I had a Virago 125 about a year ago, and came across this myself. When I spoke to Yamaha about it, they told me it was a thermo sensor. Now I have no idea what this is doing in a virago, I didn't think they were that complicated, but hey, thats what they told me *shrug*.

• 2 weeks later...

hiya, yes it is a thermo sensor to prevent carb icing.

If it is, I shouldnt think Kelum will be too worried about carb icing in Sri Lanka :lol:

He would probably need it more there as the air will be carrying more moisture and hence more prone to carb icing. Temperature isn't the issue.

He would probably need it more there as the air will be carrying more moisture and hence more prone to carb icing. Temperature isn't the issue.

However, the early owner or some unknown force has unplugged it, cant find connectors that fit with the thing... :unsure: