YX600 Radian Not starting

SVSprocket
This post is 4810 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First off, hello to all :) This is my first post on the forum.

Secondly, I'm having problems starting my bike. It's a 1986 YX600 Radian, I've checked it over and she has a brand new battery in but still I can't get her to start. Sometimes she will kick off, but once the engine has switched off again, it's probably wont go again. I've had this problem for a while now but haven't had the time to work on it.

The symptoms: With the battery fully charged I try to start the bike. At first attempt I hear a small crank, but then nothing but clicking. I think it's coming from the starter relay, but haven't had a chance to properly check this. Does anyone know if this is a common problem and anything I should look at before dismantling or replacing the starter relay?

Thanks guys.

Ant.!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

First off, hello to all :) This is my first post on the forum.

Secondly, I'm having problems starting my bike. It's a 1986 YX600 Radian, I've checked it over and she has a brand new battery in but still I can't get her to start. Sometimes she will kick off, but once the engine has switched off again, it's probably wont go again. I've had this problem for a while now but haven't had the time to work on it.

The symptoms: With the battery fully charged I try to start the bike. At first attempt I hear a small crank, but then nothing but clicking. I think it's coming from the starter relay, but haven't had a chance to properly check this. Does anyone know if this is a common problem and anything I should look at before dismantling or replacing the starter relay?

Thanks guys.

Ant.!

Are you sure its a brand new battery and that it is fully charged? put a meter on the battery and check the readings you should have at least 11.5v on a 12v battery ,if it less than 8v my FZR will not start even though all the lights work etc the charger might be saying the the battery is charged but some of the cells in the battery might be goosed

worth checking before you go any further

Thanks for the reply :) it was a new battery, but that was back in the summer now, I'll get a meter across it and see what I'm getting. Always wondered though, is it possible to use a normal multimeter or do you need a special one for these batteries?

Thanks,

Ant.!

Edit: I have the battery on an optimate charger, doesn't this validate the battery? It's all showing green.

OK I checked the battery tonight after charging it with the optimate. I was getting 12.9 volts with the bike switched off, 10.9 once switching the bike on, couldn't turn the lights off with the bike on as there's no switch, only high low. Tried starting her but got the same old issue, a little crank and then the annoying clicking sound. I switched the bike off and put the multimeter back on and could see the voltage rising, was around 12 and rising. I turned her back on and checked the multimeter and could see the voltage gradually dropping.

So any help would be appreciated :D

Thanks

Ant.!

OK I checked the battery tonight after charging it with the optimate. I was getting 12.9 volts with the bike switched off, 10.9 once switching the bike on, couldn't turn the lights off with the bike on as there's no switch, only high low. Tried starting her but got the same old issue, a little crank and then the annoying clicking sound. I switched the bike off and put the multimeter back on and could see the voltage rising, was around 12 and rising. I turned her back on and checked the multimeter and could see the voltage gradually dropping.

So any help would be appreciated :D

Thanks

Ant.!

Your battery sounds ok mate , you need to check your wiring connections from the battery to the relay , make sure their are no fusty connnections make sure the starter relay is firmly connected

disconnect your battery first, then give the wiring a little shake to see if anything has worked loose, clean up your connection and see how you go

oh and try clutch in, side stand up, neutral

but it could be a seized bearing in the starter motor its self

can u post a u tube vid of you trying to start it

Yeah I've tried multiple starting methods, occasionally she does stat, but chances are once you stop and switch the bike off then she won't start again. I'm also thinking starter relay, but do you know if you can bypass this and run directly from the battery? Would be an easy way to see if this is causing the problem?

I'll try and get a little video setup so you can hear the noises it's making.

Thanks for the advice :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online