Bike cuts out when I put it into gear

Kate McC
This post is 4832 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have no idea how to use this site but I need a bit of help. I dropped my bike nothing appeared damaged. The bike starts fine as normal but when I put it into gear it cuts out, anyone any ideas what might be wrong?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have no idea how to use this site but I need a bit of help. I dropped my bike nothing appeared damaged. The bike starts fine as normal but when I put it into gear it cuts out, anyone any ideas what might be wrong?

Could be that the side-stand switch has got displaced or damaged (stops you riding off with the stand down). Maybe the clutch switch has got damaged (cant remember if mine had one, but sure it did).

Most likely though the drop switch has activated - this is a device that switches the engine off if it falls over, so the bearings don't get oil-starved and so the back wheel isn't turning and doesn't pose an injury problem.

Have a look in the manual or give your dealer a call.