Gas Tank Question

danimal
This post is 4871 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a '96 XV535 that is a project bike. It hasn't been tagged in 4 years and has been sitting outside for maybe 2 years. Overall it's not in bad shape, hardly any rust on the outside and the paint and chrome should polish up fine. The prior owner said the bike would start but not stay running, and a mechanic told him it was the fuel pump. The top tank is a bit rusted, so I figure before I do anything, I'd pull both the upper and lower tanks and the carbs and clean everything out. I'm going to replace all the fuel lines as well.

When I got the lower tank out (not an easy task) and dumped out the gas, sure enough it was filled with rust.

My question is this- does anyone know if the lower tank is bare metal inside, or is it an enamel finish like the outside? I'm hoping that if it's enamel, then all it needs is a good rinsing to get the rust out that came from the upper tank.

thanks for any info!

Dan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well timed post, i have to seal my tank due to the dreaded tin worm, what looked mint was as far as it goes riddled with rust holes.

I have bought a kit from Tank Care Products and i'm going to give it a go once i've plugged the leaks.

And to finish, no your tank doesent have an enamel coating on the inside :( sorry.

I have a '96 XV535 that is a project bike. It hasn't been tagged in 4 years and has been sitting outside for maybe 2 years. Overall it's not in bad shape, hardly any rust on the outside and the paint and chrome should polish up fine. The prior owner said the bike would start but not stay running, and a mechanic told him it was the fuel pump. The top tank is a bit rusted, so I figure before I do anything, I'd pull both the upper and lower tanks and the carbs and clean everything out. I'm going to replace all the fuel lines as well.

When I got the lower tank out (not an easy task) and dumped out the gas, sure enough it was filled with rust.

My question is this- does anyone know if the lower tank is bare metal inside, or is it an enamel finish like the outside? I'm hoping that if it's enamel, then all it needs is a good rinsing to get the rust out that came from the upper tank.

thanks for any info!

Dan

get some brick acid and put couple of litres in give it a good swish round , depending on how bad it is will determine how long you leave it in but dont leave it too long, just keep an eye on it until you can see the rust has gone , next you need to flush this out, dont flush with water this will cause it to flash rust , get a litre of metholated spirits and pour the whole lot in this will neutralise the brick acid, keep swishing around and dont smoke !!then once you are happy with it spray some wd40 and again give it a good swish round , i have done this on many tanks and it comes up a treat

get some brick acid and put couple of litres in give it a good swish round , depending on how bad it is will determine how long you leave it in but dont leave it too long, just keep an eye on it until you can see the rust has gone , next you need to flush this out, dont flush with water this will cause it to flash rust , get a litre of metholated spirits and pour the whole lot in this will neutralise the brick acid, keep swishing around and dont smoke !!then once you are happy with it spray some wd40 and again give it a good swish round , i have done this on many tanks and it comes up a treat

Doesent actually solve the problem though.

Short pain in the arse vertion of what i've been told re tank rust.

The refineries are adding ethanol. Makes the engine burn cleaner and hotter and they are selling less spirit ( like a dealer loading his cut with sugar :blink: ), down side. Its hydroscopic, to the point it will allow corrotion even when there is fuel in the tank,the water separates far more readily and ends up at the bottom of the tank, it also ends up loaded with oxygen FROM the ethanol hence corrotion. Ethanol can also creep far easier as it is even less dense than petrol. The more ethanol the worse it gets. Apparently we are currently at around 5% but that can/will increace by maybe 5 even 10 points in the next few years as more cars can handle the fuel.

It may be hype, dunno. I am in possesion of a tank from a much cosseted motorcycle with serious corrotion and intend on sealing it for the long term. If the fellow on the phone was blowing his own trumpet fair enough i've been sucker'd. But with that in mind i cannot argue with the thinking.

Compare the cost of sealing it (around £50) to replacement tanks. There is also no gaurantee the tanks you get will be great. Granted the XV has the advantage of far greater numbers which helps (only 2000 TDR250's have come to the UK in 20 odd years) but it is something to consider. Especially as the lower tank on those bikes is such a pig to get at.

methalated spirits not methanol

But my XV125 tank does have an internal paint... :unsure: ...probably your tank's paint degraded...make sure u clean perfectly so that rust particles/flakes wont block pipes and damage pumps... :(

methalated spirits not methanol

Methilated spirit means methanol + ethanol right...that is poorly distilled arrack... :D

Kelum, when was the last time it rained in Sri-Lanka ?, for 8 months continuosly ?

Kelum, when was the last time it rained in Sri-Lanka ?, for 8 months continuosly ?

No not that long..it rained last 5 days back..its sunny now...but during last few weeks many areas of the country were flooded heavily...plus we had an amazingly cold weather... :blink:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online