My xj 600 is having trouble starting

ashleytime
This post is 4826 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello wise bikers,

I own a yamaha xj 600, it's my first big bike. It was running beautifully until a hole one day opened up spewing out fuel from tank. So after draining fuel tank and discovered lot's of rust in it. so replaced tank with 2nd hand rust free one.

Whilst sourcing a new tank I'd lost my job so the bike stood standing (outside) for close to half a year. But i wrapped bike in protective shrink wrap to ensure no water getting in to the engine block. Anyway when I got tank etc. I put in new spark plugs ( and battery) and I got my bike mate to clean out my carbs and tap. But despite our best efforts doesn't want to run.... the odd thing is when i used easy start spraying directly into the intake it ran. so guessing the engine is still working. Has any one got any idea's to what could be wrong?

Hope you can help!

Ash

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello wise bikers,

I own a yamaha xj 600, it's my first big bike. It was running beautifully until a hole one day opened up spewing out fuel from tank. So after draining fuel tank and discovered lot's of rust in it. so replaced tank with 2nd hand rust free one.

Whilst sourcing a new tank I'd lost my job so the bike stood standing (outside) for close to half a year. But i wrapped bike in protective shrink wrap to ensure no water getting in to the engine block. Anyway when I got tank etc. I put in new spark plugs ( and battery) and I got my bike mate to clean out my carbs and tap. But despite our best efforts doesn't want to run.... the odd thing is when i used easy start spraying directly into the intake it ran. so guessing the engine is still working. Has any one got any idea's to what could be wrong?

Hope you can help!

Ash

sounds like carbs if it fires when you spray easy start and it fires,

is there any pops or bangs when you dont use the easy start

have you definatley got fuel going from the tank to the carbs

inject a small amount of fuel into each cylinder,

iff it runs you have a fuel feed problem.

have the carbs re-cleaned, and see how ye go.

howdie.

first place to start is the fuel tank. 2 things can go wrong here. first your petcock is faulty. or your tank is not venting and vacuum sealing itself and not letting fuel flow. to test your petcock remove the tank and open the valve. if fuel comes out great one step closer.( if its an early one it likely has a vacuum hose connected as well. thats an automatic shutoff valve to test this connect a clean length of vacuum hose to the small pipe on the petcock and suck on the other end. if it opens and fuel flows out great as you should be able to open the valvue by sucking if not recheck the petcock or do some uper body workouts to increase your vacuum potential

next before you try start the bike remove one of the fuel drain screws from the bottom of a carby. try to catch the fuel. see if you think its enough to fill the float bowl. next open the fuel petcock and see if fuel starts to flow out the carby. replace the drain screw. if it has the vacuum line type set it to prime.

on some early yam's priming the carbs is a bitch. as your bike isnt starting im guessing your not getting fuel as it will try to run on less than perfect fuel setup.

a quick test to see if it runs is to remove the tune vacuum plugs and put about 20 drops of fuel in each replace the plug caps and try start it. if it fires up for a second or 2 then its just a fuel issue.

as a side note it took 45 minutes to prime late's xj750 carbs and the were undisturbed recently run but drained of fuel.

i know a lot of this is basic knowledge but we often overlook the basics.

cheers ian

Hello All,

I have been restoring a 1989 XJ 600 in my (rare) spare time since about June last year. I have not found much about them on the forums, (admittedly I have lazily used Google when I should have done more digging), so when my trawl brought up your post Ashleytime, I thought I should join in the debate and offer any help I can.

While I don't have an answer to your starting problem other than what has been said here, I have had similar experiences. I found that after long term (10 years!) storage the pistons in the carburetors had seized. After cleaning, it took a lot to get them re-primed and she has developed a real thing for cold start fluid. Shes fine when warmed up, but can need another shot of cold start when I try and get her off the choke. Its quite a weird set of symptoms! Maybe we can work out what is going on?

I hope to have a look at it on Friday/Saturday. Best of luck with your bike :) More on mine later.

Don't know if it's of any help to you but the last time i couldn't get mine to start was because some rust/grit/general grud had got into the carb and stopped the floats from working properly. Maybe worth having a fiddle and cleaning em out yourself incase your mate missed something on the first pass. Obviously i'm not implying your mate doesn't know his stuff.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online