Mildly infuriating...

LiamDTR
This post is 4994 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well... I thought my bikes Idol was a bit high... sounds around 2-2.3kRPM and from what I understand it should be at 1.2k-1.3k

So I began to hunt for my idol screw on the carb... could I find it? Noooooo I even looked to the manual to check I wasn't

being a tit... turns out that there is NO idol screw!!! now I have been able to source near enough EVERY part for this bike and

I have no friggin idea where to start with this thing... I've googled it but then it struck me that the bike has been heavily modified

for off-road / mountain riding in wales! So what if this is a different carb? but on that same note are the idol screws not generally

universal?

Besides that the bike is genuinely giving me the freak out at the moment... bored out 2 strokes were never my thing but

after letting it run for ten minutes and giving it a Blip... eeeek! These things bored out and tuned are mental!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

How do you mean NO mixture screw?? Is there a hole where it should be? Is the carb different? :blink:

It should look like this, only not painted in silver hammerite ( mixture screw is in the hole circled in red)

pict0547.jpg

yup absolutely bugger all in there from what I could see, I'm hopefully heading back home tomorrow so will check again (Last bikes were 4 strokes so I may be acting like a numpty).

The engine idle screw /mixture screw I guess isn't there if I'm going off of the same premise. The bandit and my old 125 had a screw that had a spring on it and was a flat head if that's any help?

Shall take a pic tomorrow and upload but I'm guessing the idle issue is down to this... could be wrong and it may well be a cracked seal or reeds though :(

If wrong could this be down to how tuned the engine is? I know idle speeds are an issue with heavily tuned engines so could this be a result?

Cheers :)

Edited by LiamDTR

Ok, so I'm seriously hungover here, so didn't read your post properly.

The mixture screw is not usually called the idle screw.

I think what you are referring too is the throttle stop screw (screw with spring etc).

This is located in the hole circled in blue (pic as if viewing from the left side of the bike).

pict0547z.jpg

Take a picture of your carb (from both sides if possible) and post it up. With any luck i will be more compos mentis when you have :rolleyes:.

Lol cheers Vez, may your hangover sod off in a timely fashion :P

One quickie though... are these screws usually quite deep?

I've read other posts where it appears that people are "missing" these screws but for some reason

they are rather deep in there (or sometimes the thread has been stripped?).

Cheers again fella :)

I apologise for the late response to Vez and lack of photo but I can confirm that the screw is present where the red circle indicates (Was coated in dirt... now visible!). But the Idle screw is definately missing I think you called it the Throttle stop screw (I used to sort my Idle speed with this on my 4-strokes if revving to high at tick over and fixed all problems with a boggy throttle response).

I'm guessing that as the Throttle stop screw is missing I need a new one yesh? If so where the ruddy hell can I find one Vez?

Cheers again much appreciated!

I'll beer ya one day :P

hey liam.

with mikuni's and other jap carbs you will often find both of these screws could have a damper proof plug over the screw. hence the deep recess for the screw. if yours apears to have the location for the screw in the pic but no screw then it likely has a plug over the screw. these plugs need to be drilled out as thew are cast in not pressed. personally if its your first take it to a shop to get the plug removed. after youve seen the before after you will be able to fix your own easy peasy afterwards. ( oh there are a few good walkthroughs on youtube for plug removal)

cheers ian.

p.s. g/day drewpy and vez.

Cheers DOA, I'll have a look on youtube for these vids, However It looked like it wasn't plugged 0o Still the whole in the bottom.. I'll youtube it and get back though :)

if its see through. ie a hole in the bottom then im guessing ypu may have a missing screw and spring. common cause of this on modded moors is the screw is wound out too far to lower the idle and the spring doesnt have enough weight to hold the screw in place. if its this or vibration that caused it to come lose and drop out put a rubber plug on top of the screw once you have one back in there and reset to where its needed. we used to do that to the old chainsaw driven go/carts sometime in ancient history.

cheers ian

that im sorry i cant help you with.

i know they will still be available new. but who and where you need to go im unsure. maybe email mikuni or ask on here if anyone is breaking one or has spare disused carby you can grab as a parts carb B)

oh gawd brain fart. im getting old i think . but then maybe i just forget my age lol.

your local bike tuner. ie performance shop should be able to order you one in if he doesnt have one in stock.

its a mikuni ffs. some days im a propper git.

lol cheers i have to scoot now will catch ya about later

No throttle stop screw will cause more air to be drawn into the engine and may explain a high idle.

http://www.yamahasco...=7&modelID=9135 < Part number 10 on there, maybe ask at a local Yamaha dealer as AJsutton are expensive ime.

I have a spare throttle screw, but the rubber may be perished, let me know if you want it and ill dig it out and check.

Ruddy hell... For a screw that is obscene.

I've asked at the local bike dealers and to be honest they were about as much use as a chocolate teapot but one gave me

the number for a chap in bristol who sells DT 125 Parts and has almost every generation of bits! woot! I'll give him a call

as he is close to me and see what he has kicking around but if this fails I shall take up your kind offer!!

Cheers Vez :)

PS. Switch gear L/H and tail tidy arrived 2 days in the post from scotland! and 1 day in the post from somewhere I can't remember!

Just got off the phone to him, really sound bloke knows just about EVERYTHING there is to know about DT's Couple of quid for the screw :D

Edited by LiamDTR

Ruddy hell... For a screw that is obscene.

I've asked at the local bike dealers and to be honest they were about as much use as a chocolate teapot but one gave me

the number for a chap in bristol who sells DT 125 Parts and has almost every generation of bits! woot! I'll give him a call

as he is close to me and see what he has kicking around but if this fails I shall take up your kind offer!!

Cheers Vez :)

PS. Switch gear L/H and tail tidy arrived 2 days in the post from scotland! and 1 day in the post from somewhere I can't remember!

Just got off the phone to him, really sound bloke knows just about EVERYTHING there is to know about DT's Couple of quid for the screw :D

Nice one, but make sure to ask him for the spring and rubber grommet :thumb: