XV535 Fuel Pump

calamitykaz
This post is 4820 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Looking for a little bit of advice....my ongoing project (93' XV535) was put on hold for a few months what with Xmas and my husbands arthritis (any excuse not to work on 'MY' bikes)...lol....anyway we purchased a used fuel pump from e-bay which my hubby has now fitted however when the ignition is switched on the pump makes what i can only describe as a 'Rattle Type Noise' :unsure: this last for approx 5 secs then goes silent...........can anyone advise is this normal for this type of bike :movingeyes:

Thanks

calamity x

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

fuel pumps do make a noise when the ignition key is turned-it should be more like a zzzzzzz :unsure:

yes it will do this, it is a low-pressure type and it pumps up the pressure to maybe 8psi, so that the carbs are getting fuel.

[very carefully and bearing in mind flammability (fire ext)] remove a feed pipe from a carb, put pipe into a petrol-proof dish and turn the key on, if you get petrol all good.

Thanks Guys....

Barkwindjammer...the sound is more like a knock, knock, knock, knock, knock.....and so on and so fourth for approx 4 sec's.

Pilninggas.......we have tried that and there is fuel getting through not a lot but my hubby thinks enough.

Thanks again.

calamity x :thumb:

I'm not 100%-but apart from that :huh:

emm, not sure of your bike, however it sounds like a diaphragm pump, does it sound like a Thuk Thuk Thuk Thuk ?

or,, a Thak Thak Thak Thak ?

go out and have a listen then come back in and tell us which one :D

yep sounds like its OK, you'd be better checking with a fellow owner on this-the diaphragm may be 'holed' and causing this noise-or maybe its supposed to sound like that ?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online