Fazer6....

YamaHead
This post is 7275 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

...So as not to inadvertantly hijack another thread (I'm guilty of it too :oops: )....I thought I'd carry on here....

So what do you have over there for a similar sort of all round commuter/sports tourer then?

About the only things that fit that bill right now are an EX500 Ninja or an SV650 :? .....oh & of course the new FZ6 Fazer 8)

I used to ride this for 13 years, & TBH am missing it quite a bit lately :( ....

MySeca.jpg

Back in the 80's, all the manufacturers had middleweights (pre-600) both in the sportbike & cruiser classes. But now, you're hard-pressed to find any NON full-on 600 sportbikes......closest thing really is the SV650.

When I 1st saw the new FZ6, I thought "Thats the ticket I've been waiting for!"......that is until I saw the $7000 price tag :shock: .....if it wasn't for that, there'd be one in my garage right now! :x .....which leaves me with the choice of either a BIG trailie or I could be content with a SecaII (Divvy 600) if the price is right :wink:

I just really miss having a IL4 middleweight Yamaha, & hearing of your adventures on your Fazer, brings back some good memories of my old Seca 550 :lovex

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

When I was chosing my bike the SV650 was another possible, but the fazer had just had a make over so the SV in comparison was a wee bit tired. I mean the SV's a good bike but over here the fazer is so popular that aftermarket parts are easy to get hold of and being a yamaha it's quite reliable.

I wonder why manufacturers have ignored the middleweight class over there then? Over here we've also got the kwak ZR7 which is a slightly sportier type bike but still can come into the middleweight class, I think it's changed a bit for this year but it's quite expensive compared to the other bikes. The bandit has an awful name and I would never want to be called an ar$e bandit, the hornet has an appalling tank range (120 miles if you're lucky). So yeah I guess we seem to have a few middleweights over here. There must be something different with the American biker mentality or how bikes are used over there that you don't have a decent middleweight class anymore. Has it split into cruiser and sports bike worlds with no-one in the middle cruising along on a sporty model.

Big trailies are another alternative for those blessed with longer legs than me, and if I was taller and getting really serious about international touring that's what I'd look for. But I don't know how good they are on the twisties, I think the fazer being quite light is a more flickable bike.

I tell you what if I do manage to do a central america trip in a few years I'll bung an extra fazer in the crate when I'm shipping my 6 and my boyfriends thou.

Comfort is all in the mind set if you ask me. I've toured all over this country and europe and I've only ever ridden sports bikes. And don't forget Nick Sanders has been around the world may times on his R1! (Although he is a tad strange! :lol: )

I forgot about the ZR7...we also have that model here. Nice bike, but I'd rather stick to the 600ish range just because of the weight savings. What can I say?....I like flickable bikes!.....that's why I'll always have my RD 8)

NT.....tend to agree with you on the Comfort is a state of mind thing :wink: There are as many different types of bikes out there, as there are people's personalities. Brings to mind the old addage.....

Different Strokes for Different Folks :wink:

Comfort isn't a state of mind when you're sitting on a honda seat, it's a lack of padding. Neither the Hornet or CBR seemed to have a lot of foam in their seats, not too sure why.

I think now I've got used to the fazer bars I'd need flat ones if I ever upgraded to a proper sports bike. I suppose the riding position doesn't really suit me so well as my upper back around the shoulder aches after a while. Perhaps I was more nervous hopping on and off someone else's sports bikes all day but my men and motors thing really left me in pain. Apparantly the doctor says it's to do with not enough muscle and what little I have gets tired holding my back in the same position for a long time.

One of my fazer buddies has an rd400 too, he says it'd be well suited for me but aparantly the power delivery's not as smooth as the fazer.

Sports bikes are hard to begin with but the more you ride them the more your muscles get use to it.

And if your worried about padding find someone with a KR1S get them to take you on the back and after 10 miles you'll never worry about it again! It's like sitting on a razor blade! :lol:

One of my fazer buddies has an rd400 too, he says it'd be well suited for me but aparantly the power delivery's not as smooth as the fazer.

:lol: Let's just say that the RD's power delivery has to be experienced to be understood. Being a bit Vertically Challenged as you've stated before, the RD would suit you well :wink: ....Nice & Low....& quite flickable, especially with only a 52" wheelbase :shock: ....can feel a bit twitchy @ times. But through the twisties, there's not another bike I've sampled, that put's an Ear to Ear grin on my face, like the RD :D :tu

I recall an annual rideout that I participate in, where I was seeing some looks of disbelief from a pack of 600 sportbike riders through the twisties, who just couldn't seem to shake this Old Fart on his 25 yr. old 400 stroker! 8)

You haven't lived if you haven't ridden a 2 stroke. Once bitten forever smitten! :lol:

You said anything about kick starting?.......I Bump start my RD half the time!.....& that Seca 550 I used to ride, it's starter went tits up, so I by-passed all the starter circuitry & Bump started it Year-round for the last 5 yrs. I owned it! :shock: .......There was some Interesting looks I'd get @ the petrol station after fill-ups though :wink: :D

The things I used to do just to save weight with that bike!....It only weighed around 415Lbs. when I sold it. 8)

That just sounds like too much hard work. I also get strange looks at the petrol station, either the "wow what a small guy, oh hang on it's a girl" or people look at me walking out the petrol station and expect me to be walking towards a scooter and get suprised when I walk over to me l'all fazer.

It's amazing how stereotypical life can be :roll:

Personally, I think it's pretty cool whenever I see a girl riding anything BUT a Hardley/Wannabe type cruiser 8)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online