XT125X Chain Upgrade

Judzehh
This post is 4998 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all

As the title states, I am looking to upgrade the chain on my XT as the one i have needs adjusting after every couple of journeys to and from work, I dont really care about the price, I just want one that will last and is hard wearing, X-Ring sounds the best to me but what do i know :D

Any Suggestions on which model to get and where to get it from would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jordan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like you've got noob biker faff syndrome, the chain should't need adjusted as frequently, check the slack-should have 15mm travel up and 15mm travel down when pushed in the middle between front and rear sprocket, a DID chain should be fine try www.wemoto.co.uk for a replacement, if you get a new one leave it alone and check it for tension every 200 miles, clean and lube regularly tho'

hth

Thanks for the reply

I probably am faffing around abit to much, But if you saw the state of the chain thats currently on it, You'd understand :)

I'll give the website a try.

Thanks again for the help

Jordan

If thats the case, Would http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Yamaha/XT_125_X/07-09/picture/Chain_and_Sprocket_Kit_DID/ be worth the buy or would the quality of them be abit crap?

Thanks alot!

Jordan

put it this way if you never lube or clean the chain it will last for about 11 months b4 it grinds your sprockets to oblivian (and could cause you and the bike some damage if it comes off when ur doin 50mph)

but if u clean the chain once a week(or more) and use chain lube then it could last you anyware between 2-3 years :D oh and adjust it properly! you want to do what B.W.J said and have about 15mm of play but note it will get tighter when you ride it after you adjust it, so you may need to adjust it again to get it right.

personaly id always add chains and sprockets to the expendible parts like tiers and bulbs which i replace every year to make sure the bike is top notch! but thats just what i do.

put it this way if you never lube or clean the chain it will last for about 11 months b4 it grinds your sprockets to oblivian (and could cause you and the bike some damage if it comes off when ur doin 50mph)

but if u clean the chain once a week(or more) and use chain lube then it could last you anyware between 2-3 years :D oh and adjust it properly! you want to do what B.W.J said and have about 15mm of play but note it will get tighter when you ride it after you adjust it, so you may need to adjust it again to get it right.

personaly id always add chains and sprockets to the expendible parts like tiers and bulbs which i replace every year to make sure the bike is top notch! but thats just what i do.

Thats what I was thinking, Seen as the bike is 3 years old and the state of the chain on it at the moment, I doubt its been changed in all those 3 years, Since iv had it I think iv lubed it around 7-8 times using some dry spray crap that the local shop recommended, But instead of wasting money on that crap on my next chain im going to use some of the PJ1 stuff, Everyones saying thats the best stuff to use

Thanks again all

Jordan

I might be opening a can of worms/or a good debate here-I hope its the latter :unsure:

I keep my engine oil after a change and use this to lube my chain, I use a small oil paint brush that can be bought in an art shop, after I've de-greased my chain with parafin (not petrol) I use a compressor to blow the chain dry, then with the tiniest amount of engine oil on the brush I spend a half hour 'painting' my chain, I then towel it dry with a scrap of old terry towel-I learned this from an old geezer who is still riding in his late 60's, he advised me to have a look at my owners manual lubrication chart and sure enough there it was in black and white-"chain lubrication-same as engine oil", I've never bought a can of lube since ;)

Jim

I might be opening a can of worms/or a good debate here-I hope its the latter :unsure:

I keep my engine oil after a change and use this to lube my chain, I use a small oil paint brush that can be bought in an art shop, after I've de-greased my chain with parafin (not petrol) I use a compressor to blow the chain dry, then with the tiniest amount of engine oil on the brush I spend a half hour 'painting' my chain, I then towel it dry with a scrap of old terry towel-I learned this from an old geezer who is still riding in his late 60's, he advised me to have a look at my owners manual lubrication chart and sure enough there it was in black and white-"chain lubrication-same as engine oil", I've never bought a can of lube since ;)

Jim

You meen when you drain the oil out of your engine you use that?

and the paint brush, does that work as well as spraying it on?

If its worked for you then thats one of the easiest way of saving abit of cash iv ever seen! :D

Jordan

Oh Yeh, Little update on the topic, I went and ordered a chain today, RK X-ring Sprocket set, 80 quid :) Looked on internet and they charge that for a chain on some sites, So yeh pretty happy about that, But then he said its 40 quid to fit and I dont have a chain tool, Pay for them to fit it or pay for a chain tool? Decisions decisions :(

You've gotta start learning sometime Jordan-may as well make it now !, buy a chain tool-and get someone local to show you how its done :)

You've gotta start learning sometime Jordan-may as well make it now !, buy a chain tool-and get someone local to show you how its done :)

Thats true ! :) He also said a chain tool would cost around 40 pound, Im sure i could get a decent one for less then that :/

Thanks again

Jordan

Jim

I Agree with the paraffin for cleaning the chain. Its cheep and works wonders, found it actually worked a lot better than the spray stuff!

Thats true ! :) He also said a chain tool would cost around 40 pound, Im sure i could get a decent one for less then that :/

Thanks again

Jordan

If you're replacing it with a chain with a split link, I would just cut the old one off & sling it , then you don't nead a splitter.

Its only a thin chain & easy to cut off. You can always get one in future if you need one for a bigger bike :mellow:

You are actually right Jim,,,,,old-school says,,,,engine oil for lubing a chain. Both my manuals say the same,,

engine oil is the best for getting INTO the inside of the chain whereas modern stickey stuff lube does stick to the chain really well BUT only to the outside of the chain.

So what I do is a bit of both,,,,,engine oil when I have the pacience and chain lube after that.

That we gem i gave ya is handy for lubing chain,,,,,,,,saves chasing the bike arround the driveway if ya dont have a centre-stand.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online