RD 125LC YPVS Clutch Plate Arrangement

23RD
This post is 5002 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi people!

I am new to the RD forum, hopefully someone can advise on my specific problem!

I am rebuilding the clutch on my RD125LC 1988, the clutch has 6 friction plates and 5 plain plates.

The plain plates all have a machined off area which I understand to reduce clutch noise.

My question is, how is it possible to arrange these 5 plain plates evenly around the circumference of the clutch as per Haynes manual? There are 23 'Splines' around the clutch drum, and no matter how you space them it is obviously not possible to make the clutch symmetrical.

My concern is obviously vibration due to the clutch being imbalanced.

I have all the correct parts, drawings numbers etc 100%.

Is this a Haynes issue or am I being really thick!

Any input much appreciated!

Kind Regards

Nick

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The book says to arrange the plain plates approximately 70 degrees in succession from each other, note the word approx... so five plates times 70 degrees = 350 degrees, when you throw approx into the equation i'll give you 360 degrees and a balanced clutch.

Welcome to the forum Nick

...Paul

The book says to arrange the plain plates approximately 70 degrees in succession from each other, note the word approx... so five plates times 70 degrees = 350 degrees, when you throw approx into the equation i'll give you 360 degrees and a balanced clutch.

Welcome to the forum Nick

...Paul

Hello Paul, thankyou for your reply!

My apologies for not approaching the forum in the correct manner, I have probably irritated a few people....

In my defence, I have never joined any internet forum of any kind before, and I am learning and keen to learn the protocol. More significantly, after 2 years I have nearly finished rebuilding my MK3 RD, I am tantalisingly close to her first firing in many years and I feel like that mad 17 year old again, impatient and blinkered to the rest of the world at times...

This issue of plate spacing has bugged me today, I understand your point and the use of the word 'approx' but can you confirm that is the way to assemble it, and that a small imbalance is accepted? At 6000rpm I would imagine it could generate some horrible vibes? (I am probably more anal about balancing than is healthy, probably due to flying model helicopters in my spare time, balance is everything there!)

Thankyou for your help, when I get organised I will post a profile etc and hopefully become a regular user.

Kind Regards

Nick

Yeah I see what you mean, no matter what you cannot make a true 72 degree spacing with just 23 slots, Now it's bugging me too :( or are we missing something :unsure:

What a relief! I thought it was just me!

Thanks for confirming there is at the very least a question worth asking.

I just cannot bring myself to button up the clutch casing until I can be 100% sure I have assembled the clutch properly.

I have had this bike quite literally down to the last nut, bolt and washer. Having spent considerable time, money and effort getting this far it seems mad to just take a punt that it will probably be right.

The engine was partially in pieces when I acquired it, so I have no reference as to how it was assembled originally.

Hopefully someone out there can shed some light, the answer is no doubt staring me in the face!

Thanks again Paul, I shall patiently hope for some light.....

are all the plain plates identical though, thats a straw worth grasping at although I cant imagine why any company would incur higher production costs to make them different

Yes, all 5 Plain plates are identical, as are the 6 friction plates.

I am even considering whether I should treat the final pressure plate (which can only go on one way) as a 'Plain' clutch plate, that way I have 6 plates instead of 5 and I could distribute them evenly then...but..I have put the pressure plate on a balancer and it has no bias to any point which negates the point of it...

just a thought though....

Yes there is, but the pressure plate will only fit correctly with the dot and arrow aligned because the slots on the inner drum will only match the slots on the pressure plate in that position, allowing the pressure plate to seat properly. I do not think it has any connection with balance, but I may be wrong.

If this was a significant assembly instruction, I would have thought the haynes book would have drawn attention to it, but it doesnt.

Yeah I came to the same conclusion, it still wuoldnt have worked if it was biased. I am dumbfounded by this, 23 slots is 15.65 degrees between each slot...so how come Haynes can make approx 70 degrees from that. And for that matter why didnt they say 72 degrees which would have been correct (but still unachievable)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online