XV 125 Virago - oil leak from tappets

Kelum
This post is 4872 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hyya guys...

I earlier discussed here about a gasket issue..I looked more closely into the engine heads and saw oil leaks from the top of each head..these are tappets right..? I guess they deal with the opening and closing of vents when engine running so am afraid of timing alterations that would kill the engine..both oil leaks appear to originate from exhaust ends..oil leak is more prominent at the left of the rear head..what should I do guys...is it possible for me to remove the head covers and see whts going on...the left right cover of the rear head was loose when I was buying the bike..and from that head leak seems to be high..do those nuts of the cover tightens some part(s) inside?

I am very reluctant to go for bigger steps..engine starts fine..after 24 hour break and may be because of chilly rainy weather these days..I have to press the start button 3-4 times..sometimes bike starts at the first hit but if stops accidentally it will need few more hits to start...is this normal..?

At very low speeds the engine doesnt feel stable..it doesnt maintain..kinda flow..engine rev speeds keep changing...I dont know whats going on...

Is this a big issue guys...? :unsure:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Help help please guys...

hi kelum soz for not replying earlier but iv had to think about what u put :)

if you could post up a couple of pics .....it would be a big help! im going to tell you how to have a better look without altering the timing.

if you can take the tank off then you can get to the heads, now there are 2 covers on each head (chrome ones) take them off (it wont affect the head taking them off) and get as good a picture of the leak as you can.

on the left of the bike (as your sat on it) on the front cylinder there will be a cover and the same on the right hand side of the back cylinder, there held in by 2 bolts, you can take them off to have a look inside. on the cover that you take off there should be a bit of rubber on the outside of the round bit (just check its there as this could cause oil to leak)

have some old rags ready as some oil can spill out.

once you have taken some pics put it back together and get back to me then i can have a look and see what to do next.

and one more thing is there any smoke comming from the exhaust? (like blue, black, or white smoke?)

Dont panic, it sounds like the 'normal'oil delivery to the valves via the galleries ?

thats what im thinking. think the rubber seal thats on the cam cover is worn causing a bit of oil to leak out from the head.

hi kelum soz for not replying earlier but iv had to think about what u put :)

if you could post up a couple of pics .....it would be a big help! im going to tell you how to have a better look without altering the timing.

if you can take the tank off then you can get to the heads, now there are 2 covers on each head (chrome ones) take them off (it wont affect the head taking them off) and get as good a picture of the leak as you can.

on the left of the bike (as your sat on it) on the front cylinder there will be a cover and the same on the right hand side of the back cylinder, there held in by 2 bolts, you can take them off to have a look inside. on the cover that you take off there should be a bit of rubber on the outside of the round bit (just check its there as this could cause oil to leak)

have some old rags ready as some oil can spill out.

once you have taken some pics put it back together and get back to me then i can have a look and see what to do next.

and one more thing is there any smoke comming from the exhaust? (like blue, black, or white smoke?)

Hi Paul thanx for the reply..no no smoke at all...am about to take her for a smoke test as I have to register her for the new year..I will get a report for CO2 , CO emission levels etc...I cannot register for 2011 without it...plus am gonna buy a new drive chain...will post pics... :) :)

Hi I have this Yamaha XV125 PARTS CATALOG (german)...I can send it to anyone who might think it helpful to keep with.. ;)

Hi Paul thanx for the reply..no no smoke at all...am about to take her for a smoke test as I have to register her for the new year..I will get a report for CO2 , CO emission levels etc...I cannot register for 2011 without it...plus am gonna buy a new drive chain...will post pics... :) :)

no smoke is a good thing B) means that the gaskets are doing there job, so the engine should be ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul and all..here are the images of tappet (hopefully) oil leak..

cimg0151.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

cimg0109j.jpg

cimg0150o.jpg

cimg0152v.jpg

to be honest m8 that engine looks ok

a little dirty but ok, there isnt any Major oil leaks, just ur average grime lol

if thats what ur worried about, then dont worry its fine.

to be honest m8 that engine looks ok

a little dirty but ok, there isnt any Major oil leaks, just ur average grime lol

if thats what ur worried about, then dont worry its fine.

May I not be afraid then? :lol:

Hm..Paul are you done with bobber thing? Do you have removed / old steering head bearings with you...I need the exact bore size of the lower one...

By the way, where does the oil come from mate? am confused, why do you say its normal?

the bobber is an xvs 125 dragstar and not an xv 125 virago and im not sure if they used the same head bearings. :unsure: so i cant help you on that one m8 sorry.

as to the engine

check the crank case breather pipe :D (its the black pipe coming from the engine in the 2nd pic) and make sure there are no kinks in it (looks like there is a kink making the pipe flat and closed), and that the pipe has no holes. looks like oil vapor escaping the pipe and settling on the engine, then dust from the road settling on top of it.

the reason why im not worried is cause you have had the bike for a while and the engine just looks dirty, there is nothing out of the ordinary just give it a wipe, and check the pipe, then give it a week and see what its like.

the bobber is an xvs 125 dragstar and not an xv 125 virago and im not sure if they used the same head bearings. :unsure: so i cant help you on that one m8 sorry.

as to the engine

check the crank case breather pipe :D (its the black pipe coming from the engine in the 2nd pic) and make sure there are no kinks in it (looks like there is a kink making the pipe flat and closed), and that the pipe has no holes. looks like oil vapor escaping the pipe and settling on the engine, then dust from the road settling on top of it.

the reason why im not worried is cause you have had the bike for a while and the engine just looks dirty, there is nothing out of the ordinary just give it a wipe, and check the pipe, then give it a week and see what its like.

Ok Paul thanks..I will do as you say..lets see... :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online