Hello!

LiamDTR
This post is 4854 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello folks!

Liam here, 25 years old from Gloucestershire and a 2-stroke noob!!

I used to have a nice Suzuki Bandit N600 (96 plate), But due to the snow early 2010 I got rid

of it and picked up a cheap, very non-cheerful 125 that dealt with the snow fantastically.

Since June (when I finally decided to get rid of it for good!), I have been without a bike and

earlier this week I managed to bag myself a bargain and am now the proud owner of a 1998 DTR 125!

The bike unfortunately had been taken off of the road and turned into a Motocross bike for use in

the Rhonda Valley. I do however fully intend to get it up together for road use once again.

It has currently been tweaked up to a 180cc engine and my god does it pull for what it is! As this

is my first 2-smoke I was very very surprised!! The bike is packed full of potential but I did run into

some problems already. The chap I purchased it from is allegedly posting off the missing green ticket

for the bike that wasn't produced but I have already been in contact with DVLA and they have been incredibly

helpful with giving me direction to get it back on the road!! So even if this green slip is nothing more than

a Spurious promise not all is lost :)

It has had a custom paint job done in a nice Candy red and metallic silver. Bad part would be that the

absolute numpty did an incredible powder coating job on the frame, Yet he made a very noobish mistake and

did not lacquer the plastics! so it has had some chips and such from where it was used off road... I do

fully intend to complete the paint touch ups myself and lacquer it up with some other adjustments to visuals ;)

16535710150358747780293.jpg

Anyway I thought that I would introduce myself with a little detail as so very few people seem to do so on forums!

Glad to be here and hope to chat with some of you soon :)

Liam.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Heya Oldgitonabike :)

Thank you very much for the compliment but alas! Not my own work (yet!), I've made a start with the registration issues

already as I had some concerns about the bike due to a lack of frame number etc. Engine number is present, but the frame number was allegedly misplaced after the frame had been powder coated However, After a 20-30 minute conversation with quite possibly the most

helpful woman yesterday at DVLA Swansea my mind is at ease :) I was sensible with the purchase though

and took a scan of the chaps driving license and address etc ;)

The guy who I purchased the bike from has assured me that he does have the slip and it is now in hand which I would like to believe

as surely no-one would give over that info if the bike was dodgy lol.

My sentiments exactly, there is a very very faint 2 letters on the left hand side of the headstock

and it is unfortunate as the paint job suits the bike so well. I am debating how to go about it at

the moment as I don't want to ruin it but at the same time I really do want to make sure that the

"legit" numbers match up. From what I have been told (I really am not sure as this is my first

Yamaha) is that the Engine and frame Number is identical, So if that is true and not just some wishful

thinking of a muppet I think I have really struck a Jackpot! I paid a very low price for the bike

and from what I have been told... I won't want to get shot of it lol :)

Anyway! do you think it's worth giving the left hand side of the headstock a bit of a sanding down or something

similar?

..........Anyway! do you think it's worth giving the left hand side of the headstock a bit of a sanding down or something

similar?

you may have to, I dont know what processes you will have to go through to get the registration document but I assume somewhere along the line you will need the engine and frame numbers.

By the way my 2003 DTR has different engine and frame numbers, but my old DT175 has matching numbers so you may possibly have been mis-informed...(i dont know when they changed)

Can you not see the frame number if you use a magnifying glass or something before you do anything like scraping and cleaning it

Welcome to the Forum Liam.

Great looking bike. Hope you can get the registration issues worked out.

Rocky

Hey and welcome to the forum.

Nice looking DT :thumb:

When i had my frame powder coated at Triple-s (proper bike coaters and far from numpties) the coating was so thick you couldn't read the frame number easily, personally i preferred it that way to having a coating too thin.

pict0421.jpg

Hey and welcome to the forum.

Nice looking DT :thumb:

When i had my frame powder coated at Triple-s (proper bike coaters and far from numpties) the coating was so thick you couldn't read the frame number easily, personally i preferred it that way to having a coating too thin.

pict0421.jpg

Hey there Vez, Cheers :D

Unfortunately the coating is far too thick to even read it bar 2 marks of the frame number!! I do like it though as it looks so tidy and for loss of a

better word.. Flush :P

And Oldgit as I just mentioned in this post I'm typing now I can barely see the first 2 marks of the frame number, I did go over it

with a magnifying glass after reading this and I think I'm going to have to have a scrape and sand but the good thing is I can see

where it starts!! :) But if it matches the "possible" log book I'm okay and shouldn't have to get it re-registered.

However the process really doesn't seem too bad anymore, All they want is a frame number for me to register it with the original

plates (pretty much, and with a fair bit of paperwork etc. and £55). But they did say if I do need to re-register it and such it

really shouldn't pose too much of a problem and I can get a year related plate :)

All that said and done I did just try to call the bloke and his phone is now off and he hasn't responded to my texts that I sent last night

soooooo... the story will no doubt unfold :P

Cheers again guys, Very welcoming bunch :D

Ps. Very nice colour on the frame Vez!

:welcome: to the forum Liam.

hope you get your bike sorted, you'll need it for the YOC meet in September ;)

:welcome: to the forum Liam.

hope you get your bike sorted, you'll need it for the YOC meet in September ;)

Lol Cheers Drewpy :P

Good developments anyway!! The chap rang me back with the frame number and he's also popping into DVLA swansea on thursday

as he deals with bikes a fair old bit with buying and selling, some with books some without, which seems fair... But he did say he will

sort the V5 out for sure!

Anyway I just got off of the phone from Yamaha and I'm ever so slightly confused now... as that bike was first registered in 1989!!

So in a way I am even more pleased as it turns out the bike is a lot older than first thought!! Does raise some minor concerns as

the previous owner had no idea that it was a 1989 model lol.

However they also said that they could (for a £40 charge). Send me a proof of manufacture slip with the original registration number!

So It would make it even easier if the log book does not appear (I think it will).

Result! and one very happy 1989 DT 125 owner!! :D

Lol Cheers Drewpy :P

Good developments anyway!! The chap rang me back with the frame number and he's also popping into DVLA swansea on thursday

as he deals with bikes a fair old bit with buying and selling, some with books some without, which seems fair... But he did say he will

sort the V5 out for sure!

Anyway I just got off of the phone from Yamaha and I'm ever so slightly confused now... as that bike was first registered in 1989!!

So in a way I am even more pleased as it turns out the bike is a lot older than first thought!! Does raise some minor concerns as

the previous owner had no idea that it was a 1989 model lol.

However they also said that they could (for a £40 charge). Send me a proof of manufacture slip with the original registration number!

So It would make it even easier if the log book does not appear (I think it will).

Result! and one very happy 1989 DT 125 owner!! :D

Good to hear things are sounding positive. keep us informed B)

Cheers again guys :D Unfortunately not much I can now do to the bike until I get the V5 through my

letter box ;) But will be adding lights etc. after I find the right look I want to go for!!

Will post pics as the progress moves forward but for the moment I'm familiarising myself with the Haynes

book of lies and also the Owners Manual lol :)

Thanks again for the compliments folks really appreciate it B)

hello and welcome to the YOC! :D

have you tried putting a bit of paper on top of the number and goin over it with a crayon? might just work.

but anyway nice bike m8 hope you get it sorted ready for the summer weather! :D

hello and welcome to the YOC! :D

have you tried putting a bit of paper on top of the number and goin over it with a crayon? might just work.

but anyway nice bike m8 hope you get it sorted ready for the summer weather! :D

Cheers Paul, and yeah I probably should have done that.. however it's not too late lol

I'm at work for a couple of days now so will give it a try when I get home.

Simple things lol :)

Well I have sourced some light fittings and such on eBay from someone who deals with more "modern" DTR parts and they seem

reasonably priced! :D instant happiness for me I must say, Tail tidy rear light/number plate holder which is lurvely! and

a rather nice headlight unit on the cheap too :)

Also does one of you lot know where I could get hold of decent snow tyres for this thing as we're supposed to be

getting more snow?

Cheers again,

Liam

Well I have sourced some light fittings and such on eBay from someone who deals with more "modern" DTR parts and they seem

reasonably priced! :D instant happiness for me I must say, Tail tidy rear light/number plate holder which is lurvely! and

a rather nice headlight unit on the cheap too :)

Also does one of you lot know where I could get hold of decent snow tyres for this thing as we're supposed to be

getting more snow?

Cheers again,

Liam

I use the standard michelin T63 and they seem to fair pretty well in the snow and generally all round conditions. Other than full blown off-road tires though, I haven't tried anything else on the DTR so its a biased opinion.

Be careful with the after market headlight units as some will not pass an MOT.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online