xvs 125 bobber ....update/problem..

Paulwhite
This post is 5002 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all :D been a while since i last posted but iv been tinkering away on the xvs bobber project, and been busy getting engaged, got a couple more things done il post some pics up when i get time but iv started it up today with the new airfilter setup and all is well! :D

iv got a problem with the jetting/carb but wondered if anyone could shed any light on the matter b4 i go taking the carb to bits.

i started it up for about 10 min and found that the exhaust header was glowing....and i mean really glowing! it was the bright shade of Orange that id want if i was trying to bend it with a pair of needle nose pliers .......but its not what i want for a road going bike.

just wondered if anyone could tell me what i need to do to try and sort it. (im not sure if the mixture is rich or lean) the plug reads rich but im sure i red somewhere that a lean mixture burns hotter causing the exhaust to glow. :blink: ???

cheers for any advice

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Dont like the sound of that at all Paul, I suppose it could be lean, if it's that hot the spark plug would also glow and the engine may 'run on' a little when the key is switched off.

I had a cb125t do that years ago and it was the ignition, the stator plate had slipped and the ignition was miles out. Moved the 'flame front' :(D get me cleverclogs), onto the exhaust instead of in the cyl head. Put the timing right and every thing was good.

cheers for the quick replies B) and OG when i took the plug out to have a look it was ok and wasnt hot to the touch (just warm). the only thing i can think of is that with the polished head and free flow air filter its running lean, as to the timing....its as it was b4 i did the mods so should be spot on, it ran perfect b4 the mods so im thinking its got something to do with that.

im going to strip the carb down tomoz and have a play with the jetting, to make it richer and see if that sorts it out.

but its the 1st time iv come across this. just thought id post on here and see if anyone has had the same problem and what they did to sort it.

Have you tried restricting the air flow to the carb a little to see if that affects it-what Cynic says sounds about right, sounds like the exhaust port is ejecting fire instead of burnt gas

yes m8 iv put a washer in the air filter housing but found that i couldnt get it to run properly (wouldnt rev up), so i took it out and it seems ok. but il have a look at the timing then go from there. B)

oh i got freaked out yesterday when i looked at the speedo......the mileage counter (the one that you can re-set) is at 666 :blink: and considering that it hasnt been adjusted since the engine blew....well .......a bit of a coincidence!? :o

cheers cynic. you were spot on. B)

checked the timing and it was out, so its all sorted and running properly .....well nearly.....just got to sort out the carb as its back fiering and popping :blink: .

thanks again :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online