XS400H Electrical issue

MetricCycleTech
This post is 5020 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got an odd one here.....81' XS400H keep blowing my ignition fuse. stripped out harness completly, got a hot wire going to igniton switch, then power supllied properly to reg, a rect, stator, pickups, coils, and ignitor. this is all that is hooked up now, only fuse is on main red wire, 20a fuse(main), . I figured if I went through and made a bobber harness, I would find any issues that could have been causing the igniton fuse to blow, found nothing. anyways, bike starts and runs fine, just had tank sitting on frame temp, to supply fuel while I test, as I moved the tank, I got sprks happening from tank to frame, and poof, ignition (main) fuse blew again. Throw a fuse in, fill carbs with fuel, removed tank, bike starts and runs great, not blowing fuse, but put tank back on/touch frame and poof. What the hell is going on here. Nobody sells a manual anymore, not paying $75 from yamaha. Stator isn't going to ground, pickups ohm out and not going to ground, just a weird problem. I work on bikes everyday, although I am not 100% perfect with elec. issues, but this ones got me buffalo'd. next step is to unplug regulator, unplug rectifier, stator etc. bike will run with just pickups, battery and cdi, and a simple ignition switch. Keep in mind I have no handlebar switchs, turnsignals, tail lights nothing right now so this is a pretty isolated issue, has got to be internal in a component or something.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

got to be a faulty componant, not sure what you got to fit under the tank?

try relocating coils temporaly and see if that makes a difference. then its a process of elinination like you mentioned.

I realy ned to get into my project but procrastination is my forte ATM

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online