oil at spark plug

wyliecoyote
This post is 5009 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone,

just got my yz 125 back from the shop and i am now in the process of breaking it in. I got a brand new wossner piston in it along with new gaskets. i was just out on it there for about five mins, i had a look at the spark plug and there is oil on the threads, i havent had a chance to take the plug out yet, but i can see the oil seaping out. i rang the bike shop where i got it fixed and they said theres nothing to worry about! can anybody shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello everyone,

just got my yz 125 back from the shop and i am now in the process of breaking it in. I got a brand new wossner piston in it along with new gaskets. i was just out on it there for about five mins, i had a look at the spark plug and there is oil on the threads, i havent had a chance to take the plug out yet, but i can see the oil seaping out. i rang the bike shop where i got it fixed and they said theres nothing to worry about! can anybody shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance

Dont understand, if youve not had chance to take the plug out then how do you know there is oil on the thread? There should not be oil seeping out from the plug hole, could be that it wasnt tightened up properly? or in cross threaded? There should be some sort of compression/sealing ring on the bottom of the plug to form a seal. Also check the oil level to make sure that its not been overfilled.

Sorry,should have made it clearer!

i havent taken the plug out!there was a little bit of oil seaping out from the plug hole. its a brand new spark plug so the seal should not be damaged! i cleaned the oil of, that was seaping out, and let the bike idle for about 15min and there was no sign of any more oil seaping out! it was only a drop of oil aswell! im just a little paranoid because i just spent a small fortune gettin it repaired! hope this makes a little more sense!

Thanks

Sorry,should have made it clearer!

i havent taken the plug out!there was a little bit of oil seaping out from the plug hole. its a brand new spark plug so the seal should not be damaged! i cleaned the oil of, that was seaping out, and let the bike idle for about 15min and there was no sign of any more oil seaping out! it was only a drop of oil aswell! im just a little paranoid because i just spent a small fortune gettin it repaired! hope this makes a little more sense!

Thanks

Just make sure that the plug is tightened correctly, its usual to screw them in fingertight and then a quarter turn more with the plug spanner. There shouldnt be anything weeping out, and you shouldnt be able to feel the compression pressure leaking past the seal either if you can hold your hand near to the plug. Other giveaways are loss of power and noise. Just double check the engine oil level to make sure that its not overfilled. If the weather gets decent enough to ride, just monitor the area to ensure that the leakage is no longer present for a couple of weeks. If it continues to leak, take it back.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online