fitting a universal rear brake light switch

dan28
This post is 5012 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

as my xvs is a custom chop its been converted to rear disc brake it uses the yamaha foot brake an a sachs xtc rear disc an caliper

trouble is there is no brake light switch fitted

i know i can buy a universal one but where does the switch fit to?? i ve had a look an cant se anything obvious

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The 'plunger' switch is connected to your foot pedal arm by a spring :)

if you've got pics of your universal switch then put them on here so we can see what you got

ignore that bit

http://www.toolparts.co.uk/acatalog/Motorcycle_Electrical_Accessories_and_Parts.html

The 'plunger' switch is connected to your foot pedal arm by a spring :)

if you've got pics of your universal switch then put them on here so we can see what you got

ignore that bit

http://www.toolparts.co.uk/acatalog/Motorcycle_Electrical_Accessories_and_Parts.html

so the spring connects to the pedal arm does any one have a pic of it fitted?

an what do the two wires connect to

• 2 weeks later...

Hey dan28.

I am not familiar with all the UK models, but I assume the XVS is the same model in the UK as the XVS is in Canada (ie the new version of the Virago). My wife rides a 2010 XVS250. I took a look at the bracket that holds the switch to the peddal assembly on her bike but could not see where the switch wires plug into the electrical harness. If this is a comparable bike to what you are riding I will try to get a picture for you.

Rocky

thanks rocky

can you post a pic of how the spring fits to the brake pedal

i assume the wires on the other end go to the rear light so so i ll solder them to the existing wiring

Dan your brake pedal arm should have a small hole bored in it near the mountain mounting bolt, the two tail wires should connect to the loom via a small connector plug, if you have to solder it on then I dont think you have to connect in any particular way as this is only a 'loop' B)

Dan your brake pedal arm should have a small hole bored in it near the mountain mounting bolt, the two tail wires should connect to the loom via a small connector plug, if you have to solder it on then I dont think you have to connect in any particular way as this is only a 'loop' B)

there is nothing straight forward on my bike most if it was bodged when i bought it,

its been converted to rear disc instead of the standard drum brake i m pretty sure there is no loom around the brake pedal to plug the switch into hence there was no switch fitted to the bike when i bought it

i am concerned about mounting the spring to be honest dont want to mount it wrong an break it

along with the air box assembly being held on with cable ties an incorrect reak itthrottle cable that made the engine do random things

Dan I will forward a picture tomorrow...Sunday my time probably Monday your time.

Rocky

There you go Dan. I hope this helps. The the other end of the bracket that the spring attaches to connects to the brake cable.

Rocky

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

th_MVI_0578.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online