just bought a DT.... what the hell do i have here?

mitch500
This post is 5030 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

just picked up a DT for $250... i live in the dominican republic and not to sure what i have here.... everything on this island is molested or held together with bubble gum.

anyways my papers says its a 1997 dt 175. but the im pretty sure the motor is a 125, switched out at some point.

the bike is a little rugged in some places, gauges don't work, head light fairing missing, taillight gone... but for the most part it runs.

now the question im asking is, can any of you help me identify my bike.:-)

thanks here are some pics.

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Its exactly what you think it is, a late model DT175, as to the cc bottom left hand side of the barrel (looking foreward over the bars) should show the cc.

If not if it has 4 cyl head studs its a 125 if it has 6 its a 175.

Its exactly what you think it is, a late model DT175, as to the cc bottom left hand side of the barrel (looking foreward over the bars) should show the cc.

If not if it has 4 cyl head studs its a 125 if it has 6 its a 175.

ok so i believe its 125

IMG_0311.jpg

also i have been reading how to de-restrict the DT125 but some of those mods seem to not be for the motor i have.......

is this the CDI box that can be modified that i reading to allow me some more power... of so what the procedure...

IMG_0313.jpg

No that heavily finned unit is more likely the voltage regulator.

No one on here de-restricted one of those models, They were never available here as we had the LC models at that time, you will never get much power from it. Best bet would be just to get it set up propery, there will be restrictions inside the exhaust I think but not worth the effort to do, it possiby has a very narrowed exhaust port too. Only way to see would be to take off the exhaust, again though...not worth the effort to do

Ok the cc stamp has moved. Yes OG is right these engines will never give you the power of the liquid cooled us/european models.

Around 16hp is about it from these lumps and i doubt they have much in the way of learner restrictions in your neck of the woods so i would think what its got is what it can give.

Looking at the pictures a good sevice, lube and fixing the wiring will be far better than any half arsed tuning bodges.

alright, thanks guys.

-recently just changed the brakes front and rear.

-re-mounted the magneto( it was being grounded by a wire before to the head fins.)

-cleaned up rats nest of wiring..

-removed gauges(they were not working and smashed up)

-replaced rear carrier bushing.

-lubed every rotating part.

-changed oil

gave it a bath and its still a little oily. going to get some grease remover and re-do it....

things still to do.

-fix minor 2 stroke oil leak from inside the side engine cover.

-fix exhaust leak, this beast is loud.

-new spark plug

-needs new rubber front and rear... something a little more aggressive.

all in all that will be it... there will be no restore on this bike.... it is a beater and will remain looking like one... fancy bikes like to get stolen on this island...

i did take it for a good 3 hour ride up into the mountains up 45+ degree hills(up and down) crossed a few streams. rode it on the beach in the sand, and bogged it into some marshes...

i have to say this bike is pretty solid.. its +32c here and she had no problems running or starting.

-needs new rubber front and rear... something a little more aggressive.

Don't get carried away looking at Moto Cross rubber the little DT hasn't the horsepower or the wheel clearance for them to work. I used my DT for a few years as a green lane/off road tool and tried all the tyres. Best one that seemed to suit the little old DT more than most off road.

Bridgestone Trail Wings, they clean ok and work on just about every surface from sand through mud to snow (found that one recently :D ).

Here's a link, http://www.nationalbiketyres.co.uk/motorcycle-tyres/bridgestone-motorcycle-tyres/trail-wing/cat_48.html

There are probably fancier surface specific tyres but these are cheap and work well enough to go anywhere. B)

Does that air cooled model share the LC frame then ?

Does that air cooled model share the LC frame then ?

Sort of, if you look at it from the point that the DT125lc grew FROM the DT175. The very first LC's do share a lot of common parts. Its in 88/89 when the LC got mono cross fully floating suspention that the LC broke its links with the aircooled bikes properly.

Mitch's bike is firmly stuck in the late 70's early eighties as far as mechanical design goes.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online