DT125R'98 - Newbie's questions

This post is 5034 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello to everybody. Probably, I should introduce myself since it is my first post here.

Recently I've got second hand Yamaha DT 125R '98. Main usage is short trips (1-3 days) both road and offroad for landscape photography purposes. I drived it for a couple of months (sept., oct.) and now I have time to repair everething. The bike works, but some things should be fixed.

I'm not a kid but it is my first bike. That's why I have a bunch of stupid questions.

0. Common. I have a Haynes manual for this bike. My prefered style is "learning by doing". How far should a newbie go inside the bike? Are there any parts (engine, gearbox) which are not recommended for opening by an unexperienced person?

1. Carb.

A pilot screw is missing either completely destroyed. A fuel filter is also missing. Bike works without these two parts, but should it be like this?

Moreover, a float needle is worn out and should be replaced.

Is it worth to fix it all? Can it be easier to buy an another carb from ebay?

p764222866-10.jpg.p851895227-10.jpg.

2. Tachometer is missing. I'm going to install a new one. I don't understand, how does cable connect to the engine. Should I disassemble the gearbox to do it? Here is a slot for tachometer cable:

p925226555-10.jpg

3. Electric system.

a) How powerfull electric system does this bike have? I would like to install warming grips (up to 40 Wt). Will I get power enough to feed them?

b ) I would like to install a cigarette lighter connector for GPS. Where should I connect it?

c) currently I have a very unreliable accumulator. Probably it is in a good shape, but this brand (Biltema, Finland) is known due to it's cheap and single-use junk. Of course, it doesn't affect engine starting. But would it be wise to change acc. to a better one? Especially, considering question 3a.

d) If engine stalls, tail light turns off. This is annoying on the road. I would like to be visible if this happens. Is it possible to fix it?

e) Most of electrical connections are in a terrible shape. I'm going to make proper water proof connections. First I was thinking about pairs of spade connectors, covered first with silicone and then with heat-shrinking tubes. But silicone contains acetic acid whic can cause a corrosion. Any other ideas? Another question, how to isolated block connections (2x2, 2x3) properly?

4. Frame. I would like to have a kind of case or two on the back of bike. It doesn't look like the tail of the bike has an apropriate place for case mounting. Any ideas? Is it possible at all to put some luggage on this bike? Frame looks like this (tail support is not original)

p583176140-10.jpg.p1039426245-10.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nice pictures, yes a proper intro in the bar would be good.

The back end of your bike has been modified, it would have a carrier as standard I think like mine here

Copyof100_1332.jpg

Look out on ebay for a standard fender / light and carrier.

Replace the float needle, get yourself a tacho cable...I do not see why you assume you will have to work on the gearbox for this...it has a knurled nut to screw onto the boss ? in your picture.

Replace your mixture screw order one from yamaha agent it will not be inexpensive

If you really must replace electric connectors, silicone covers should be fine, if in doubt just wipe a little vaseline on the metal connector first.

...Paul

Nice pictures, yes a proper intro in the bar would be good.

Thanks. Is "bar" a part of forum? Sorry, I'm not so familiar with traditions.

The back end of your bike has been modified, it would have a carrier as standard I think like mine here

Look out on ebay for a standard fender / light and carrier.

Ok, it's clear

Replace the float needle, get yourself a tacho cable...I do not see why you assume you will have to work on the gearbox for this...it has a knurled nut to screw onto the boss ? in your picture.

No, there was no any nut. This black plastic part was just covered with a kind of plug. I haven't seen a tacho cable yet, so it's a bit unclear how to mount it.

Replace your mixture screw order one from yamaha agent it will not be inexpensive

Thread inside is completely messed up (corrosion?). Also, there is nothing like screw, at least nothing similar to picture in the manual. I see only a flat yellow surface on the bottom of pilot crew's shaft. It's the best pic of the pilot screw I currently have

p136766442-10.jpg

If you really must replace electric connectors, silicone covers should be fine, if in doubt just wipe a little vaselind on the metal connector first.

I would like to have a properly equiped bike

Thanks for your help.

Thanks. Is "bar" a part of forum? Sorry, I'm not so familiar with traditions.

Yes it is a part of the forum

No, there was no any nut. This black plastic part was just covered with a kind of plug. I haven't seen a tacho cable yet, so it's a bit unclear how to mount it.

The knurled nut is a part of the cable outer sheath

Thread inside is completely messed up (corrosion?). Also, there is nothing like screw, at least nothing similar to picture in the manual. I see only a flat yellow surface on the bottom of pilot crew's shaft. It's the best pic of the pilot screw I currently have

p136766442-10.jpg

I just took a photo of mine there is definitely a brass screw in there (unfortunately my card reader isnt working tonight) so I wonder if the screw is in fact fitted...I suspect it is. And someone messed up the screw slot.? I think it would run badly without it anyhow, very 'lean'

A thread about installing a cigarette lighter onto a DTX  http://www.yamaha-underground.com/cms/tutoriels/installer-une-prise-dallume-cigare.html   ( Google translate http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=fr# )

No reason to stop you doing the same on the DTR.

I just took a photo of mine there is definitely a brass screw in there (unfortunately my card reader isnt working tonight) so I wonder if the screw is in fact fitted...I suspect it is. And someone messed up the screw slot.? I think it would run badly without it anyhow, very 'lean'

It seems that thread is completely corroded/scratched out. This unit is not adjustable, there is nowhere to place a screwdriver.

Ok, I've got your point. This shouldn't be like this and I need a new carb.

A thread about installing a cigarette lighter onto a DTX  http://www.yamaha-underground.com/cms/tutoriels/installer-une-prise-dallume-cigare.html   ( Google translate http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=fr# )

No reason to stop you doing the same on the DTR.

Excellent link, thanks!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online