1982 XS250R project; worth starting?

odia
This post is 5042 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

a few days ago I visited my uncle and he has in his garage what i'v identified as a 1982 XS250R mostly together; the heads off and its sat for a little while but hes gotten it in a trade and the condition actualy looks fairly good for the age of the bike.

however the issue is the 1982 appears to be a completely different shape to the rest of the XS250 series; while the bike is cosmeticly complete I don't mind ghetto mods if need be but how much of the engine is interchangeable from the earlier bikes? given the heads are off i'd be keen to do a 400 barrel conversion to get the extra oomph and stealth but if im going to be limited to 1 or 2 years production (alot of the 400cc variants parts iv heard will work) of a bike? I'v been through that a few times and twice it ended my project unfinished.

does look like a nifty little bike though those thin tyres a bit eeek!

[edit]: damn... this should have gone in classics; no delete function, sory guys :\

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

a few days ago I visited my uncle and he has in his garage what i'v identified as a 1982 XS250R mostly together; the heads off and its sat for a little while but hes gotten it in a trade and the condition actualy looks fairly good for the age of the bike.

however the issue is the 1982 appears to be a completely different shape to the rest of the XS250 series; while the bike is cosmeticly complete I don't mind ghetto mods if need be but how much of the engine is interchangeable from the earlier bikes? given the heads are off i'd be keen to do a 400 barrel conversion to get the extra oomph and stealth but if im going to be limited to 1 or 2 years production (alot of the 400cc variants parts iv heard will work) of a bike? I'v been through that a few times and twice it ended my project unfinished.

does look like a nifty little bike though those thin tyres a bit eeek!

[edit]: damn... this should have gone in classics; no delete function, sory guys :\

Is that the rare dohc version? I've only ever heard of one other and that was imported into the UK and broken up!

Is that the rare dohc version? I've only ever heard of one other and that was imported into the UK and broken up!

damn... I hope not; heres a picture I found with googlefu

yamaha20xs250208220202.jpg

[edit]: appears not

Engine: Air cooled, parallel twin cylinder, SOHC, 2 valves per cylinder.

guess I answered my own question there; still seems weird the bike being sans-a large chunk of the frame lol.

I cringe at the thought of getting this bike out on the logging truck riddled goat-track roads D: baring me seeing something like a snapped frame (unlikely) i'l be bringing this home at some point and i'l start a back to life thread.

[edit]: from just looking at pictures those motors do look a bit different though... I preffer the old XS covers tbh.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online