possible new toy?

wild foamy
This post is 4968 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Heya peeps

The winter has come, i am now driving a car, the XJ and Jawa sit in the car park of RAF benson collecting snow and various furry critters... and i have this strange sensation to get myself another toy, the Jawa now runs on both cylinders and with the exception of the broken headlight (which im trying to source a replacement for) will be on fleabay soon to make space for another toy...

and on that topic, i have been browsing ebay the past few days... yes thats right, foamy has gained computer literacy... but anyway, i digress.

i was looking through ebay, and i saw what can only be described as a wet dream, it made me weak at the knees and i started dribbling like a hungry baby in a topless bar.

i'll give y'as all a clue... its a 1200, has two wheels, made by Yamaha and continues the trend of being older than myself.

give up?... fine, its an FJ1200, and i think it is absolutely gorgeous, it looks a bit like my XJ, its a year older than me, and i personally think its a future classic.

what are your thoughts? is it a wise investment such as the XJ?, or will it be a bottomless pit of effort and money like the Jawa?

thoughts appreciated, as you can tell im slightly pished

-Steve x

P.S. Miss you goff xx

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Bomb-proof motor, enough torque to pull tractors (and Hardley-Rideables) out of ditches, warp speed capability, all-day comfort on a bigass seat behind a well setup fairing and a decent tank range. If they'd only slapped a shaft drive on it, it would be my perfect bike.

Where do you want us to send the flowers?

Hang fire on the flowers just yet, my 33bhp restriction doesnt expire for another year and half... the XJ6 i ride now probably has 55-60bhp (it made 70 when it was new, many many moons ago) and what with the XJ12 putting out 100+ i would be likely to end up in the first tree i come to

Those FJ babies are so easy to ride, don't worry about it.

My advice would be to buy it now, if it's a really good one, and spend some time and tlc on bringing up to pristine condition.

My FJ is 21 years old and has never missed a beat - it's serviced by Phil Hacker (FJ Owners Club) and runs like a dream - here it is at Plymouth last year waiting for the Santander ferry (10 day trip across Spain and up through France to Le Havre), alongside is my wife on her Fazer 1000.

2605nxx.jpg

Phil Hackers's own FJ racer (pic below)is featured in the latest edition of Practical Sportbikes. In 2009, there were 6 FJ's racing in the Wirral 100 Forgotten Era class - all FJOC members and they proved those things can be made to really go and handle - but especially they can stop.

2z6ry84.jpg

On top of this, they are still fantastic bikes for touring on, and commuting on, and for just blatting around on.

Guess you could say I'm a fan !!

KirriePete - they don't need a shaft. Look after the chain and you'll get 35k miles out of it easily. I end up adjusting mine once every 2000 miles - ish, at the most.

All I do is keep it lubed (scott-oilers are good for this) and check the tension every now and again.

Who needs a shaft - with torque reaction upsetting the handling.