1992 sr125 problem

sleazy rider
This post is 5052 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,everyone. This is my first post so I will introduce myself. Im Lee, im 25, im from luton and yesterday i bought an sr125 from nottingham. When I viewed it it started first time, rode well and started fine again when i set off. I stopped to put L plates on it and it started fine again. Then i start the 100miles back home (at 9pm) and it cuts out when Im sitting at traffic lights. Doesnt start so im sitting there swearing and it starts up. I ride away and it does it again at next traffic lights. Refuses to start now, I bump-started it but it cuts out whenever the revs are low, it has no chance of idling. I managed to get it home it took about 3 hours and i was freezing. Anyway, anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I have haynes manual but next to no mechanical experience(change spark plugs but thats about it) Dont really want to take it to garage and pay what I bought it for again to get it fixed so I want to try myself but have no idea where to start. Have looked everywhere for other people with same problem but havent really found much help. If anyone has any advice for me I would much appreciate it!! Oh by the way I have tried it again today and same thing, will only bump start and cuts out before it will idle. What have I let myself in for?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Are you aware of the clutch & sidestand cut off switches ? Did you & bike get wet ? if so may just be that & need wd 40 spraying on all electrics if not the first thing I would check & renew is the plug ( pennies )clean & re'oil air filter ( read manual ) & try to give as mutch info as you can as it could be a number of things .also check the idle screw it may need turning in a bit again (manual) as you dont know how without it . ok..... R

(also you could have a duff battery) .

I think , anyone who rides a strange 1992 Sr 125 plodder on strange roads at night 100 miles in this weather deserves help . I would be hard pressed to risk it on an sr 125 on a afternoon july !

thanks for the advice root! didnt rain luckily so dont think the bike has been wet, the guy I bought it off had it in the garage. He did say he rode it to work everyday for last year without problem but Im doubting this, it seems like i must have pretty bad luck for it to break 5mins after I get on it! He mentioned that it was off the road for 2 years previous to him owning it not sure if this has any effect? Ill look in manual about idle screw and try that first, then get new plug and let you know how i get on. A mate says he reckons its carb but after looking in manual it seems like it may be a bit advanced for me to tackle i dont wanna make it worse!! Anyway thanks for help so far!!

Wahay! Just played around with the idle screw and it started and will idle!! Been out on it just now :) still think theres something wrong though because its idling quite high and when i lowered it it cut out again.

Nice one you have to get it to running temperature to set it up propper Ok ...R

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online