Correct Torque for Clutch Cover Bolts '81 XS400

xs400s
This post is 5049 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey there,

I'm new to posting in these forums but often read the threads here. I'm currently restoring a '82 XS400 while trying to keep an '81 running. The '81 is experiencing that dreaded high idle problem, where the engine revs up to 4000 plus rpm and stays there. Seems to be lean, but numerous carb cleanings/tinkerings haven't had much effect. I'm on my third carb tear down, clean out, reset right now.

However this is not the issue I come to you with today.

I had purchased a parts bike for 250 dollars and when it was dropped off it was quickly obvious that it was in better condition than my daily driver. I asked the previous owner what happened, and he said he'd finished restoring, rebuilding the engine etc. when he lost interest and discovered it wasn't appropriate for the race class he wanted to be in. He just hadn't put it back together.

So now I'm putting it back together, learning a lot about bikes on the way, and am wondering if anyone knows what the torque specs are for the bolts on the clutch cover. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on, but this is what's keeping me from the next step right now.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

do you mean the allen bolts?

It's 0.8 - 1.2 kg-m

Yes, the Allen bolts. Thanks for the information, that will help lots. By the way, where did you find it? I've scoured the internet and my Haynes manual, to no avail.

Yes, the Allen bolts. Thanks for the information, that will help lots. By the way, where did you find it? I've scoured the internet and my Haynes manual, to no avail.

Sorry, one more question - could you tell me what that is in Imperial? (don't hit me! i just have a really old torque wrench!)

Sorry, one more question - could you tell me what that is in Imperial? (don't hit me! i just have a really old torque wrench!)

Slow morning at work here, so here y'go:

Clicky link for all your torque conversion needs

You're welcome

yamaha service manual

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online