question about oil light '82 XV750 Virago

Brother Reuben
This post is 5054 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i've only had this bike for about 2 months, so i still don't know alot about it. seems when i drive uphill the oil light comes on. this could just be a poorly placed sensor. [same thing happened on a chevy truck i had, fuel gauge read empty eveytime i drove downhill] i recently changed the oil and filter; the oil level is good, and there are no leaks. something i have to live with? or sign of a problem.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i've only had this bike for about 2 months, so i still don't know alot about it. seems when i drive uphill the oil light comes on. this could just be a poorly placed sensor. [same thing happened on a chevy truck i had, fuel gauge read empty eveytime i drove downhill] i recently changed the oil and filter; the oil level is good, and there are no leaks. something i have to live with? or sign of a problem.

sounds like dodgy sensor to me, if there are no leaks and the oil level is good , have you replaced the correct grade oil?

Just had a look in my old Yamaha Technical Service Bulletins that was issued to Yamaha Dealers and found this one.

Model - FJ1100 XJ MODELS TR1 / XV750

Subject - Engine Oil level Light

Many Mechanics do not seem to know that Yamaha use oil level and not oil pressure lamps on the above models.

This lamp is controlled by a float switch and will illuminate if the engine oil level drops to the minimum mark.

Note: If the bike is accelerated hard or driven on steep hills the light may flash on and off but this is normal and is not an indicaton of problems.

Yamaha switched to level lamps rather than pressure lights because usually by the time a pressure light illuminates the damage is already done. With a level light the rider can constantly check the engine oil level.

So as long as you keep a check on the oil level I don't think you have a problem Brother Reuben.Hope this helps. Tony

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online