fork oil xs400

ras675
This post is 5057 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

new member here , I will come back later and introduce myself properly, however i.m off to work in a few mins ,

I need to refill the forks on a 1980 spec (imported to UK in 94) xs400 se (16 in rear wheel) SOHC , i have changed a fork seal , i cannot get the silly circlip/caps off the tops , so must refill (inverted thru the drain holes, what quantity , please

many thanks

alan

preston

NW UK

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The XS400SE takes 142ml of fork oil per leg. Make sure the top yoke pinch bolt is slackened before trying to remove the retaining circlip and you have to push and hold down the fork top before trying to remove the circlip which is sometimes easier with assistance but be careful as it is under spring tension .Tony.

The XS400SE takes 142ml of fork oil per leg. Make sure the top yoke pinch bolt is slackened before trying to remove the retaining circlip and you have to push and hold down the fork top before trying to remove the circlip which is sometimes easier with assistance but be careful as it is under spring tension .Tony.

i have got the fork legs on the bench , and fastened in a padded vice , i can get the circlips out and depress the top , but it will not come out , prob 30 yrs of rust ,

I have now inverted them and added 142ml of castrol 10w fork oil through the allen bolt at the bottom , tightened it , and then stood the correct way up

seems ok for now , cheers

alan

i have got the fork legs on the bench , and fastened in a padded vice , i can get the circlips out and depress the top , but it will not come out , prob 30 yrs of rust ,

I have now inverted them and added 142ml of castrol 10w fork oil through the allen bolt at the bottom , tightened it , and then stood the correct way up

seems ok for now , cheers

alan

I had to drill a hole and use a slide hammer to get one out. obviously had a new one to hand!

drewps

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online