yamaha choking

myboybusta
This post is 5054 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone new to this but hope someone can help me .

i bought a 1984 XJ600/FJ600 and it was sitting around for a few weeks or so maybe longer with only short spirts now and then . i started the bike and when i went to trake off it surged , lost power , then slowly and gradually gained momentum . once in the higher gears it appears to run ok ,yesterday i went out for a spin , it did the same thing and was choking , once it gained momentum , again it seemed ok . when i got back it was misfiring a bit , and a flame was coming out the back when i revved it . today was better and i put premium in it and it seems to be getting better and better , but still sluggish off the mark . please anyone can give me some heads up would be awesome and i would be forever greatful . i have been around bikes all my life but have not come across this before .

thanks everyone and look forward to hearing your opinions.

cheers

myboybusta B)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

if its spittin fire then its a fuel issue, probs too rich, try cleanng/replacing the air filter.

if its spittin fire then its a fuel issue, probs too rich, try cleanng/replacing the air filter.

awesome thanks guys will check air filter and also warm it up a bit longer too.

thanks and will let you know how i get on

cheers from downunder

You have a weak cylinder for whatever reason. Probably a bad spark or blocked jet. Whatever it is the cyl is firing when the valves are open on the 'wasted' spark, so you get flames.

When the engine is first started you will most likely have one exhaust pipe that is nowhere near as warm as the others. Pull the plugs out and you should get an idea of whats needed to sort it. Very black/wet will obviously be rich, white will be lean. You are after a nice tan brown colour.

Could be something as daft as a bit of damp. Sticky choke would be high on my list too.

thanks for that

have taken to bike shop and he said the same sort of shiot as well . reckons he will sort it no prob . thanks for your interest and ideas . muchly appreciated .

little boy wunder from downunder

hey everone got bike back today and goes well now

all is good

thanks for all your advice and tips

cheers

tony

So, what was wrong with it?

You posted the problem, put the fix up as well.

It may help out another member who is having similar problems.

yeah sorry cynic you cynic :)

the idle mixture was too rich , the carbies needed cleaning , the air filter was desperate for a clean , and i was told to only use bp ultimate by about 6 people who know what they are talking about .

thanks

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online